Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All of the different learning styles should be represented in your classes. 

One approach I've found helpful is to start with my own preferred learning style and build around it by incorporating aspects to deliberately touch on the other learning styles.  

10-15 percent increase when students learn from their primary learning method

I totally agree that every student is different and understanding the students' learning style is beneficial in teaching. To be able to develop a wide range of teaching strategies helps build on the students' strength given their dominant learning style.

It is important to include a variety of style to stimulate students. This method can also hit primary and secondary preferences for many students - thus layering learning!

There are many different learning styles and it is important to adapt teaching styles to meet as many different learning styles as possible in order to reach a broader audience and ensure that most of the students are comprehending the material being delivered/taught.

Knowing about learning styles may help me understand and explain the differences I observe among my students.

I think all students learn and process information a little different. With that being said this coarse gives you a understanding of how to reach each student.

Any group of students will present multiple learning styles.  I have to be cognizant of these various styles and tailer my instruction to satisfy all of them.  By doing this, I improve my ability to teach effectively.

It's helpful to remind myself to ensure that I teach outside of my learning style and do it for the students. Sometimes I forget to focus on visual learning since it's not my strength or I disregard an image or graphic when I need to make sure that all the different types of content flow together.

This course helps me to understand there are multiple ways to learn and to present the material for learning.

Recognizing not just learning styles and preferences in myself, but also within a student body will help with instructional delivery and variety of styles in presentation

I enjoyed this presentation and will utilize the message.  I also think that learning styles aren't always discrete, and it remains important to find innovative teaching methods that provoke interest, and/or evoke emotion that intrigue the learner's triaging subconscious brain - that actually determines what data is to be processed and subsequently stored for later use.  In addition, consider that this could vary minute by minute for the individual based on their earlier day/mood/energy level/sleep quality/commitment/experience etc. and the learner may not remain in, or be in any particular category.

I learned the main learning styles, what is needed to cultivate those styles, and how, as an instructor/teacher, fostering an all-inclusive learning environment is best approach

We need to diverse our styles of teaching to make ourselves clear and for the class to understand better because not all of the students learn the same way.

Presenting information to students across a wide range of learning styles reinforces the information that is delivered to each learner.  Auditory, Visual, Kinesthetic, and Written word learners each have a different perception of the information, but if each category is considered, the information may be learned by all.

The different styles of learning is nothing new but learning that a student can score 10-15% higher if you teach their preferred learning style was eye opening. I think its also important to know that while everyone has a different learning style sometimes you wont be able to accommodated all students.  But as long as you are an effective teacher it shouldnt have a big impact on student learning and performance. 

Using all the learning styles to reach 100 percent of the class is key.

Comment on Marcus Hernandez's post:

I know at the start of each term each class we discuss and find out what type of learner they really are. It is amazing how many students really don't know but it is also very satisfying when you can help them find out! It has worked for many years and hopefully for many more!

Sign In to comment