Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

From the very start of the class it is important to acknowledge every  student by name. Also, the instructor should give some background on his/her self and ask the students on their background and why they want to be a part of the profession that they chose. 

In this module, I learned how to successfully prepare for my first class.  Getting to know the students, ensuring they know that I care about them and their learning experience, creating a time for them to meet their classmates and ensure that when they leave my first class they know exactly what is expected of them.  

Meeting the students and learning about them is just as important as them learning about me and experience in the field.

Getting to the students and their interests in the first class will be beneficial in the long run.

Try to make the class more comfortable and understanding that the goals of the student for the class

can be accomplished. 

It is important to greet each student and take the time to learn names. I learned Greta tips from this section about taking pictures to help learn each student name . 

I have learned that it is important to learn and call each student by name . Just by doing something as simple as this is a significant impac.

Really try to learn their names. Be personable when introducing yourself. Let them know your experience and achievements which can show them things they could also attain in the future. Also let them know what you like to do in your spare time so you can be relatable, making them less nervous around you. 

Be prepared, get to know your students name and tell them a little about yourself

I learned strategies for learning the students' first name and how to make them feel comfortable the first day of class.

This section has allowed me to learn concepts on how best to begin my learning journey with my students and how to affect their perception of the class and myself from the beginning. 

From the "Meeting the Class for the First Time" module, I learned methods that can be applied for conducting a successful 1st day of class.  I learned that it is important to take into consideration the 1st day from the student's perspective - that they might be nervous about meeting classmates, meeting the instructor, and about the class material also.  As an instructor, we should address those concerns by incorporating some ice-breakers so that we can all get to know one another, and by going over the syllabus and class expectations.

Class should include introductions by teacher and students, learning students names is also very important. shows that you care to know who they are. 

The content signifies the importance of individual student identification for setting the initial tone for the classroom as well as securing the students for completing the course and entering a worthwhile career.

It is important to know a little something about each student so an instructor will know how ot give examples in class.

It is important to start learning the students by learning their names and what they bring to the classroom.

I like the idea of using notecards to remember students. It is good to do a quick introduction so students are aware of your level of expertise.

Be personable. Introduce yourself and have professionalism.

Know the names of the students.  Also, give them the comfort of knowing what to expect in the class.  Pre-tests are helpful too. 

I go over how interesting HVACR is in the field and all the interesting places you get to go, places no one else gets to see by places I've been, famous people's homes, nuke power plants, sub base in Groton, Rx R&D, NASA space suit development, etc etc, HVACR is everywhere so we are everywhere and everyday is different. No other trade has our diversity.

To learn every students names and show them that you do care. Also, to introduce yourself and attempt to alliviate any student anxiety's so they can focus on the material. 

Sign In to comment