Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Investing in your professional development as a teacher should be an intentional act that can be used to keep yourself accountable. I would like to continue to grow in my teaching pedagogy and nurture the student centered classroom. Showing genuine care for your students is what will really make a difference in their learning and their lives.

Some key points that I'm taking with me from this module:

• Know the resources available to you (and to your students)
  • Stay up to date on the latest research and developments (ie evidence based practice) in your field
  • Convince your students that you love your subject matter and them!
  • Meet and greet every single student, at least a brief contact

Professionalism is essential for both instructors and students. Preparation and positivity is my model. 

As a teacher I learned that it is easy to fall into a relationship with students that is considered "pals" but that this is not productive and that instead students can relate to instructors as friends and support systems instead.  

Balance soft skills and hard skills in the classroom. Follow the mission statement of the school while being yourself. Be credible, Dan did, compassionate, committed and clear. Represent your discipline with professionalism and theoretical knowledge, lead by example. 

Continue learn and develop a better ways of teaching and help students understand.

Model, manage, and motivate.  Remembering to be friendly but still establish the boundary of pal vs instructor. 

Stay up to date on current practices and continuously assess what is working for the students learning

Keep the energy up. Students will notice

I took away: Respect, Responsible, Results.

Respect your students, peers, career setting. You are Responsible for preparing for the students and instruction. The Results will be the effort you put in. 

My takeaway from this lesson is that professionalism is the utmost important characteristic an instructor should possess.  All other instructional characteristics flow from professionalism.

I think my biggest take away from this module is how important it is to remain active in my career field. Whether it is a continuing education course, staying up to date with news laws and legislation that affect my career, maintaining professional contacts with employers, or industry representatives, all of these will help keep me connected to my field and provide me with the knowledge to best prepare the students with the profession they will be entering.

Body language and gestures are very important for understanding of knowledge and how prepared you are has a direct correlation to your ability to deliver that knowledge to the classroom. 

The 3 Ms (Model, Manager, & Motivator) are quick references to recall additional information before, during, and after instruction.  

Comment on Justin Markle's post: This is 100% on point!! 

Be the Example for your students, that they have a strong foundation to become great!!!

Encourage, Support, and fairness are what you must provide, not enablement. Be the model that the students need for this profession not the mother/parent.

I learned how important it is to be a model that students want to follow. It is equally important to love what you teach and allow students to see your passionate interest in your subject. Keep students engaged and interested as well. 

I learned the value of professionalism and how important it is in an instructor's role as a model, manager, and motivator.

As an educator you must continue to be mindful of your role as a model, manager, motivator and building trust only enhances the learning environment. Success/effectiveness is achieved by also being a student

Sign In to comment