Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student retention

At what point do you make a decision that at the career college level a student is not in the right field even though they can pass the class?

late starts

Student that start late have to be treated very gentle. I have learned that when they start late it increases their chance of dropping since they feel left behind. It is important for all staff to assist the student in this matter to ensure the students overall success.

fear of enrolling

One of the major reasons I have heard students state why they dont enroll is thier ability to keep up since many have been out of school for a long time. While that may be true, its up to the admissions team to assure them that there are many which are in their same position ,and while the orientation process is being administered, give these individuals an opportunity to link up with others alike , which can decrease the fear thresh hold.

Mentoring

Mentoring is absolutely a great way to keep students on track. According to the lesson, and I agree, mentoring needs to be done by those who are great students and enthusiastic about the program--those who are already successful and understand the time management portion of this 'college' learning life.

Customer service vs. cost

There are 2 grocery stores near my house, which are across the street from each other. Kroger has excellent quality at discounted prices. Publix has excellent quality at slightly higher prices. Why does my wife prefer to shop at Publix? The reason is that Publix offers great customer service. There is a miniature kitchen set up where customers can sample a small portion of a dinner in order to get different cooking ideas. Employees also take groceries to the car for the customer.

Admissions team

I can't wait to pass along this course to our admissions team.  I think they would benefit from this!

Viewing the Student as a Customer

WOW!

It was so interesting for me to view my students as my customer!  I have always thought of them as someone who HAD to be in school and that I was doing them a "favor" (not providing a "service").
It makes total sense that if I change how I percieve them, it wil in turn change how I treat them.

Most of our students are paying alot of money to be in school and I should view my roll as the reason.

Very enlightening!

How Long Did It Take You to Complete Your Course?

It took me about 5 to 6 hours and I read every single word!

retention

we all have to provide access and information to our students to help them succeed

Teamwork and unified vision

Teamwork and unified vision starts both from the top down and the bottom up. Communication of the company's vision starts from the top levels and the enthusiasm and drive must come from there as well to keep all the spokes of the wheel turning. From the bottom, having everyone on board with the common goal is essential. Those who cannot be on board must realize that this is perhaps not the environment for them. Sometimes we just can't change someone's HABE.

Changing HABEs

It's good to have a working knowledge of this process so that we can use a variety of means to help the student be successful. It all goes back to getting to know your students well!

Expectations met from the front door

How do we make certain that the students' expectations about the school, the fit, etc. are met right from the beginning without a bad bill of goods sold to them?

getting to know your students

I find it easy to get to know our students - small class sizes and months to interact with them. How does this translate to the larger class sizes with instructors who only teach them for one term or semester? I recall college courses (albeit in a traditional college setting) where I was one of over 200 students. They didn't know our names, nor care that we were there. It was up to us to "retain" ourselves.

Emotionally Intelligent

Empathy is needed for contemporary leaders. Emotionally intelligent leaders have perfected the attribute of empathy. When I was in the military (two years ago) my emotional intelligence was different from that of an educator’s or future scholar. Abrahams (2007) quoted the Field Manual (FM) 6-22: “Leadership is the process of influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation while operating to accomplish the mission and improving the organization” (p. 3). Abrahams (2007) suggested that the wording implies that leadership is a one-way action and that the leader simply provides purpose, direction, and motivation, and the followers are influenced. The Department… >>>

Attention = How some perceive Attention can = Retention

I understand and agree with the Attention = Retention. However, I know some schools (staff and faculty) worry about blurred lines between student and instructors and staff. How would you establish within the school community that it is okay for faculty and staff to have these kind of interactions. I work in an environment with few male students and my ATTENTION (a smile, a "How are you today?" or "Stop by so we discuss ....") can be misunderstood just as much or worse by faculty and staff than by the students.

Great Review

This was a great review for me. My theoretical framework for my doctoral degree was self-efficacy. The concept of self-efficacy is significant to Bandura’s social cognitive theory, which emphasizes the role of observational learning, social experience, and reciprocal determinism in the development of an individual’s personality/attitudes/cognitive skills.

Connecting with Students and Their Stressors

As an instructor, I think it is important to connect with your students, so you can learn what their STRESSORS are. Learning what stresses your students can go a long way towards providing assistance or pointing that student in the right direction. I believe this to be extraordinarily true with my younger students. Their world is different. I believe we as instructors need to be careful not to project our feelings about what should or should not stress our students. We talk about identifying theses stressors, but we need to without judgment. I know for myself that can be difficult… >>>

Retention strategies

I'm not so sure everyone in the career college environment wants to be "involved" in the college experience. Many have already done that in traditional college - the parties, clubs, activities, camaraderie... Some just want to get in, get the degree and move on. That can sometimes hinder the retention activities listed.

Timely

We have a student currently who is in danger of failing out of an externship. The "survey" process of getting to the bottom of the situation is very helpful. The "8-step" process just puts it all into perspective.

understanding stress

I feel it's important to try and identify with the student's stressors. Or at least be able to refer them to a resource to help decipher what issues they may be experiencing. Sometimes it just helps them to know you experienced similar feelings when you were a student.