Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

ED 110

This was a great course in validating a system of lists /prioritizing that took me many years of trial and error to devise. I still have some problems working student needs around 'my time'. This module helped me to see that consistently over-stretching myself is neither good for me or the students. I'll have to work on that!

Its great to know that the guide is the way to go

I had always used the "guide" as a way to manage the adult classroom.  I was often criticized for not being the "controller" type by admin.  I don't blame them, afterall, most of us during the course of our education career were more exposed to the "controller" method of managaing adult classroom.  I always felt this was the way to go, especially since I remember how tough it was to be a student continuously sitting in a class that you did not want to be in, day in and day out.  I did not want that sort of experience for… >>>

Great Course

This was a great refresher course.  I've been teaching online classes for about 8 years.

Dr. Aron

This is Bull

I took the test and feel that this is a bogus test.  I have taught online and use many of the techinques described.   

EL102

I just completed EL102 and I thought the course was great.  I’ve been teaching online for several years and still learned a lot of new information.   I would definitely recommend this course for new instructors.

EL108

The course EL108, preparing students to become good learners was a nice class with strong curriculum and information

FYI

Personal contact one-on-one with students

In the university in which I teach our "terms" are 10 weeks' long.  I have been contacting students who are not progressing as is expected weekly.  These contacts are via telephone.  During the contact we discuss what may be happening in the student's personal life that might be interfering with school.  Then I ask the student what he or she might be able to do to "fix" that to the extent it does not interfere with school.  I am wondering whether anybody has any suggestions as to a different or perhaps better approach.  Thanks!

Ed. 104

Loved the class.  Even though I have been teaching for 30 years at my present university, I found each module inspiring and beneficial.  You can always learn and I feel I did.  Thank you so much.

ed113

good lesson!

ED 117

I found this course very interesting.  I incorporate segments on emotional intelligence, critical thinking and problem solving into all my classes.  Students of all ages need to develop these skills.  If I have a student who is having problems, whether they be school related or personal related...the first thing I say, after listening to their story....is....."What are you going to do to solve this problem?"  Then, I hold them accoutable to solve the problem.  They learn so much about themselves by solving problems and that builds confidence and then that confidence shows up in their academics.  It's a win=win!!

ED 102

This was a great course.  Provided great tips for the online learning classroom. 

ED 116 Critical Thinking

I found the info and ideas in this course to be very useful particularly as a teacher of a course in Critical Thinking.  By reading through the material in the course, I was reminded of or inspired to many ideas that I can take in the classroom.  I enjoyed this course! 

ED 117

I just completed the course on Generation Y ED 117.  I found it very interesting and informative.  I am quite fascinated with the generational differences in people.  After many years of teaching high school age students I have found that school sems to be suffering from grouping people together by age.  Thus people at young ages don't develop the skills  and understanding to work with people of all different ages, which is a needed skill in the workplace. 

ED 105

I have completed this course and found it to be of great value. 

Employee Training: Ensuring Transfer of Knowledge to Performance

What methods/tools do you find most valuable in ensuring transfer of knowledge to performance in your employee development efforts?

Being between a rock and a hard place...

I am an instructor of adults from 18-35, I have a student who has not been as serious as their classmates being that they have not taken this seriously most of the other students do not care for them... I find it difficult to get, make, encourage, or coerce the other students to 'play nice' or work together. The student has some undesirable habits however I believe they can be successful. My question is how to 'involve' all students to 1st, give their best ,2nd to be more accepting to forgiving others behavior?

ED115 Soft Skills for Instructors

I just completed the Soft Skills for Instructors course.  It enlightened me as to how important soft skills really are, not just for your career, but for yourself personally. As an instructor, the most important quality that sets instructors apart from others is their attitude.  If an instructor comes into class with a positive attitude and brings out positive emotions in their students, they will be much more effective in their instruction as well as the management of their classroom.

ED - 105

ED - 105 gave me the insight into how to poperly make use of grading rubics in all assessments. Truly students show a lot of respect for instructors that are organized and well prepared before the begining of a class. This has been a refreshing course for me.

ED 115

I was glad to know how important it is to have soft skills.  This was a great module.  I can not wait to share it with my students.

GEN Y

I am grateful that the dangers of using technology in the classroom was addressed and that potential solutions were given.  I am a digital immigrant in that I am trying to embrace technology and utilize it in the classroom.  This training made me determined to become more technology savvy so that I can be credible when introducing it into the classroom.