Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Sexism

Have any of you ever dealt with sexism toward you in the classroom? I have had several issues over the past several years and resolved them appropriately. I have never heard it talked about. I could have missed it I know. But I wonder if male instructors experience it from women and how does everyone deal with it. The students were not beligerent but just condescending and crossed the line a little.

ED 117

I have been instructing for 20 years and learned quite a bit from ED 117.  I enjoyed how it incorporated teaching techniques for various generations.  I could relate completely.  I thought some of the suggested activities are worth trying in class for sure, especially the Performance Contract asking the student to set their goals.  It reiterated the importance of critical thinking in every class.

Ed 104

Very good study... Students always come first.....

ED 1112

Great content in course.  Easily applied to the class and Lab experience.

EL 104

I just completed EL104!  EL104 was informational and provided great content to add to the structure of my online content as an instructor.  Charolette Brown

Test taking Anxiety

How do we deal with extreme test taking anxiety? Any suggestions?

ED 104

This is a great course for new instructors. The teaching strategies reinforce learning accomplished years ago ..

Course 102

I have just finished the course and although I have been teaching for a few years now and have many years experience in my career field, I found that I learned a great deal from this course . There are some ideas that I can implement right away in my classes and I really liked the part that mentioned about the slump you sometimes feel during the course where the students seem to be less motivated than at the beginning of the course, I think it is so important to get everyone re-energized and focused back on the course objectives. Super course I really enjoyed it.!

ED112

I learned valuable information from this course. Student motivation has multiple facets. I learned that student security and control of their learning provides motivation for success. I benefited from this course emensely.

Culinary Gen ed

I find the challenge of teaching culinary gen ed a welcome one. There are times when it can be hard to engage some students. Even though the math and writing courses are ones they signed up for, some students may come from a background where classroom academics were not a strength. Some tools that are useful for me: Tactile examples, regular food discussions, reading the NYT restaurant review every Wednesday, humor, and the occasional injection of a personal failure of mine. These little tricks help the WIIFM students stay engaged.

Enjoying This Process

I am truly enjoying this learning process. Very helpful!

EL 104

The online course grouping has been the best for my needs so far. I plan to continue with this string of courses intermixing what I'm learning in the ED group. My biggest takeway is that technology should not create a barrier to instructor-student communication. A good instructor should do everything he or she can to facilitate comprehension of all aspects of the online environment and not just graded material.

IPAD Integration

Has anyone piloted or actively using IPAD in the classroom as means of an instructional tool?  What are your perceived and real positive reactions and challenges?  Other institutions in our educational organization have begun piloting, but no information is ready for sharing yet........just curious as to progress others have had!

E310

If you teach Medical Terminology.....take this course. It will give you many different types of learning activities. I plan on using them, or atleast some of them this following quarter.

ED106

This course was very informative and taught me a lot about how to teach students with disabilities; specifically dyslexic students. I look forward to using the "text in boxes" technique to help my dyslexic students by able to focus on exams.

ED310-Med. Term. in new ways

I have learned so many new and creative ways to keep my students interested in learning Med. Terminology. I am excited to get started in using these newly found skills!

Currently, I am on Winter Break and will resume classes on Wednesday.

Will repost after I have tried out some of the things I have learned.

Thoughts re: EL108

Greetings All:

I have just completed EL108, within which the Seven Principles of Learning by Checkering and Ehrmann (1996) were introduced. I found that the discussion board topic on these principles to be particularly effective in enhancing my understanding of the effectiveness of synergistic teamwork among my online graduate students. I believe I have identified new opportunities to make their collaborations more productive by being mindful of these Principles.

Thank you again for the learning opportunity!

Susan Weiss PhD CMA CFM

ED 116 Critical Thinking

It is good to know that there are other educators in the world around me that believe Critical Thinking is an integral part of the learning process.  My daughter is a public school teacher and has told me on several occasions that this is no longer required teaching in the public schools.  How sad.  Of course, my daughter still teaches it in her classroom, but it is not mandated.  I believe every person needs to know how to critically think, no matter what their walk in life is.

ED 209

Wow..this course certainly applied to my environment.  Many of the students are self-motivated adults and require a different approach than some of the younger students.  Many of the listening skills are applied everyday in the Lab and the Cklassroom.

EL103

I truly enjoyed EL103 as an educator and a facilitator I was able to make review and reflection a part of course evaluation.  Course evaluation was encompasses every aspect of the course but does depend quite a bit on the assessment process.