Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Its great to know that the guide is the way to go

I had always used the "guide" as a way to manage the adult classroom.  I was often criticized for not being the "controller" type by admin.  I don't blame them, afterall, most of us during the course of our education career were more exposed to the "controller" method of managaing adult classroom.  I always felt this was the way to go, especially since I remember how tough it was to be a student continuously sitting in a class that you did not want to be in, day in and day out.  I did not want that sort of experience for my student.  I think the guide more maintaining discipline was excellent.  Lately, I have been more getting more aggressive in my class.  I did not start out that way, but I feel more agitated lately.  I guess I might need to take some time off and reflect.  I think this course reinforced the kind of behavior I wanted to attribute in the classroom.  It was great.

ED113

I agree that often people feel a "controller" is the only effective instructor, but I also believe that the "guide" is much more effective especially for adult learners!  This class gave me several ideas on how to improve and continue to be a "guide" and less of a "controller".

I really enjoyed this course.

I have learned a lot.I know definitely that I am the Buddy and trying to be a Controller>

thank you so much for the course.

@kayren0711 :

I agree I really learned alot in this lesson. It was so helpful and laid out so well.

@desidoc111 : It is a good idea to join this blog and share and read the ideas for making the classroom experience great for the online students.I will visit it more often

I've taught in the adult learning environment for 10.5 years. It seems to get more complex with time. Although each student is individual, each class presents with the same issues. I agree that being a controller is not the best way to teach, because I learned the hard way that students respond better to a person who is willing to guide them. We must remember that though some of them behave as children, they are still "adult learners."

Sign In to comment