Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Dr Sam,RDMS,RVT,RDCS,RCS

Best method to present topic for student is to be prepared and review it aday before . Use online to keep students more active

EDU104

wiki is a space on the Web where you can share work and ideas, pictures and links, videos and media — and anything else you can think of. I love this type of educational tool for online classes.

Teaching Tools 104

Students who enrolled in online courses tended to have stronger academic preparation than the community-college population on the whole, researchers found that students who took online classes early in their college careers were more likely to reach higher goals and have better grades using online tools than those who took only face-to-face courses.

ED105

I just finished ED105 and it answered a few questions of being on the right track with my teaching techniques. I have found that rubics are great and testing and keeping my students engaged is not only a chanlege for me. So the media segment gave me some better ideas for my power points.    

ED107

This class gave me new ideas on how to make the clinic floor for my cosmetology students a better learning enviroment.

ED105

This course really helped me learn how to maximize good communication techniques with my online students.  The interaction of instructors and students must be modeled consistently throughout an online course in ways that are appropriate and designed to help every student have success.  The ED105 course will help anyone improve and better understand their online communication skills. 

ED107

Just finished this course, and found it chocked full of great information and ideas to jumpstart memory learning for students, to find a way to reach them through visual and other means of communicaiton that will implement and drive home the learning point. Some 'knowledge' must be quickly grasped, particularly with technology, and what I tell students a lot of times is that alot of technology is simple repetition. It comes down to doing the same thing over and over but in a creative outlet every time.

ED117

Being from the Gen X and teaching Gen Y was definitely a learning experience. After I took the ED117, it definitely opened my eyes to many, many things. Not only explained a lot of observations, but also offered new and exciting ways to keep the students interacting and excited about the syllabus.

ED311

This course was really helpful with finding new and creative ways to demonstrate a lecture.  Especially for healthcare students.  I got a lot of good ideas that I plan on trying in my classes.  I strongly recommend it to everyone.

Motivating Students

I believe that motivating students is an art requiring a good knowledge of human behaviour

and a great deal of intuition which may not be taught.  Great teachers are natural

motivators.  That's probably why these individuals went into teaching.

Professional Development

Taking professional development courses are often time consuming and not helpful. Why is lecture ED101 different?

ED104

I feel that each instructor that is currenlty teaching should take this coure. I wish I would have taken it prior to me beginning my teaching career. There are so many things that I will use in my class and NOT use in my class. I found that trying to be friends with your students is not always the best practice. I also found that making the syllabus stand out will be helpful.

Course 106

I learned alot from Course 106, especially working with ELL students.  There is indeed a baseline of info that must be taught/learned in each course.  At times, this can be a challenge to the learner if he/she has reading and reading comprehension issues.   I have found that it is also important to help the student to use his/her life story to motivate the others in the class.   I have developed a deep respect for students who can overcome.  The story of Eric, a blind student, who indeed was successful ( written about in course 106) is very humbling.

Technology use

If online learning is going to make a real impact in your organization, you'd better have better
reasons to justify the investment than "well, everyone else is doing
it". Evaluation takes a bit of work, but then nothing was ever achieved
without a little effort.
There
are many good reasons for measuring the success of your online learning
program. Although there has been a strong push to get educational technology
into the hands of teachers and students, many obstacles to implementation still
exist. Equipment may not be placed in easily accessible locations. Hardware and
software often pose problems for teachers… >>>

Varying Testing Styles

I find that it is incredibly helpful to switch up testing styles within our class structure. Students often get too used to one style of test, and then can only regurgitate the information for the short term based on the test structure itself. i feel that a more comprehensive method really helps the students to actually learn and retain the information. a combination between kinesthetic 'hands-on' tests, written subjective tests, and then written objective tests works really well for a full scope of testing knowledge.

ed 109

When teaching complex topics, what ways are there to moderate time and questions?

Student class attention

One of the most important topics is how we get the attention and interest from our students ,so in that way our class move fast an efficient , in this course i learn tips to get the attention of my students .

Sharing effective tools to break up dry content

Always looking for new and creative methods to help break up and keep the energy going in those class lecture days that are a bit more dry than others. Any suggestions?

Active Learning

I'm wanting to add more creative learning strageties to my instruction. Students often comment that the course (Psychology) is interesting, but I'm always looking for ways to create an interactive learning environment.

ED104

This course was very helpful since I am a new instructor myself. I have mainly worked in a clinical setting with students, but have recently been presented with some of the challenges presented in this course.