Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

GEN Y

I am grateful that the dangers of using technology in the classroom was addressed and that potential solutions were given.  I am a digital immigrant in that I am trying to embrace technology and utilize it in the classroom.  This training made me determined to become more technology savvy so that I can be credible when introducing it into the classroom.

Crossing over the digital threshold is a challenge for all of us Michele. I continually find new ways to integrate technology into my classrooms, and all the while picking up the unexpected dangers and/or pitfalls. Its a process, but one we all certainly need to embrace.

We definetly live in the world of modern technology.  This course gave me some insight on how to handle a classroom of mixed generations in this ever changing world of cyber space.

I would add that I have learned alot, and I am still learning.  Some of my students are so well versed in this modern technology, and at times, I give such students opportunities to explain the latest information they have found out.  When I ask questions, it gives the ones who are timid, a chance to feel free to ask questions which we can all have a discussion about.  This kind of interaction,  awakens a desire in the later ones to seek to know more so they can also contribute something either during another discussion, or in responding to questions put forth in classroom assignments.

Modern technology is definitely making learning and teaching a different kind of experience than what we had as children. Many of us are learning along with our students.

I have just opened up my classroom to the students to use their cellphone for looking discussions up so we can talk about them in small groups.  My problem now is they have them out for everything now.  It is hard to monitor them now.  Music, texting ect. I liked what we accomplished, but having a hard time with the rest.

It is fascinating to me that there are so many generations in both the workplace and educational environment today.  My students range from 19 to 75 and this makes the classroom one of great diversity.  Not matter the age, we all share one common goal and this is what makes the interaction so exciting!!

With regard to opening up the classroom to students' use of cellphones to look up discussions to talk about them in small groups.  It's another way of creativity introduced to students' studying and learning, but the problem is they now want to use their cellphones for every period involved. 

In most classroom and workplaces, cellphones are to be silenced.  So having the opportunity to be allowed to use those in class I think is very welcoming to students.  The problem I think is, that it is hard to monitor if students really keep with the subject introduced by the instructor, or are involved with other activities when on their cellphones. 

Maybe Dianne, you could mention to students the project to use cellphones, which you had introduced to them is over, and that you are now back to the old rule of no cellphones use allowed in class. FRobinson

Sign In to comment