Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication is Key

Recognizing all of the regulatory changes that govern communication, what type of communication do you use most often and why?

Email wins hands down! It is quick, easy, and documented.

I have learned that email is one of my best forms of communication because it provides the opportunity to put information in writing, be clear and specific in recording that information, having the email acknowledge upon receipt, and having a record of the communication that is date and time stamped.

Joyce,

Spoken like a true compliance person. Documenting communication is critical in the event that it is needed at a later date. As we say "If it isn't documented-it didn't happen."

Cindy Bryant

I find that Email is the most effecient type of communication. It is what the typical college student is accustomed to and it also leaves evidence of the communication and the content of the communication.

In all honesty, my main form of communication doesn't have anything to do with regulatory changes. I use e-mail the most followed second by phone. However, this is really due to geographic location and the fact that my "audience" is all over the country and available at very different times. However, I think e-mail forces one to really thing carefully about how one phrases a message because it's a written document that is saved forever. Whatever you communicate, there is now a concrete receipt. Therefore, this module served as an excellent reminder of waht I need to make sure I state upfront and clearly in my communiations.

Belinda,

Hi! It sounds like you are an online instructor. Online communication can be easily misconstrued through verbiage and tone. I appreciate the fact that you email and also phone the student. The phone call is the added touch that can be very effective.

Cindy Bryant

I use the phone the most. Either direct dialing or texting, it still is the best method for contacting the students I’m trying to reach.

I primarily communicate email and IM because it can be documented.

I primarily use the phone with a follow up email for documentation.

Most often, I use email. It is an effective and functional form of communication. On one hand it is way of documenting a conversation and on the other it way of clearly getting your message across.

Emails are my most used communication method. The information provided is helpful in being sure the content is compliant.

I use email and text messages. Primarily because it is easier to send out an email or text than call someone on the phone. Also, it's a great way to document.

I usually communicate over the phone. It enables me to detect possible issues which may affect potential students' viability as prospects. One example; I was contacted by a developmentally disabled person who expressed interest in school. during the course of the conversation I suspected that she might not be able to succeed in a post-secondary education environment. I asked for her mother's number, contacted the lady, and confirmed those doubts. I might not otherwise have been able to determine that the prospect was not viable and I avoided a snake's nest of potential violations.

I prefer to speak to the students over the phone , instead of e-mail. However since my students are the generation of having texting at hand they prefer to e-mail me instead of having to call and speak to our receptionist.

Edward,

It is important to discern whether or not the person is able to complete the program. This requires being a very good listener and picking up on specific cues. Setting a person up for failure does not mirror the integrity and ethics of your school.

Cindy Bryant

I generally use email, however, I prefer the telephone because emails don't carry a tone. When you speak to someone directly, you dont have to assume what tone of voice they are using or the genuiness of thier efforts. Although you can use an email as a way of documenting conversations, I have also had phone conversations and followed up with an email as a means of confirmation.

I also prefer to speak to the student by phone instead of e-mail. It gives me a chance to hear from them what's going on instead of having to wait and see if they call or leave a message with our receptionist.

I prefer to speak to a student over the phone. However, most of our students change their numbers so often that we end up not having the most current number on file. I find that I'm more successful in getting a hold of my students via Facebook and/or email.

Thuha,

You bring up an important point. Many times students will change their phone number but maintain their email and Facebook account. The only variable is that one requires payment and the other doesn't.

Cindy Bryant

Sign In to comment