Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Physical disabilities

How is it legal to have a multiple level facility without an elevator? How would the law protect someone that was permanantly in a wheelchair and could not access classes located somewhere other than the ground floor?

Kristy,
I don't know the specifics of the situation you are describing, so I can only give you a general answer. Section 504 is primarily a PROGRAM access statute, rather than an architectural access statute. It says that the PROGRAMS AND SERVICES must be equally accessible. If you have a student in a wheelchair who needs to get to a class on the 3rd floor of a building with no elevator, there are two (legal) options. You can build an elevator -- or you can move the class down to the first floor. That having been said, though, if the building in question was either built or had significant renovations since 1990, they may be in serious violation of the law.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with Section 504 and the ADA to a degree. A prime example would be a student bound in a wheel chair that needs access to the class that happens to be held on the third floor. Instead of spending money debating on what kind of elevator system should be implemented. Stop waisting precious time, move the class to the bottom floor and stop with the 'hard-headedness' that seemingly has become the majority of society's realm of thinking. What happened to helping one another through, over, or around life's obstacles so that we all are better off in the long run?

Robin,
I'm with you -- I've never understood why the concept of doing the right thing is so hard for some folks to grasp! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree! How is that legal? If a school has many floors then an elevator should be installed.

Ashley ,
As noted, it is more important that the PROGRAM be accessible than that the building be accessible. If the building is old, it may not have to be brought up to code with an elevator. That doesn't excuse the school from making sure the student has access to the opportunity... down on the first floor!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

But doesnt it then become a question of what is more inconvient, having to hold one class off campus for as little as one student, or install an elevator in the building? It seems the off campus class, even for one student, would cause a hassle for the professor, the student and the campus. Also,there is the financial burden of renting a room or meeting place etc?
Assuming the government would pay for each of the accomdations i guess it wouldnt directly affect the institution.

Amanda,
Whoa. Wait. Who said anything about moving the class off-campus. Moving the class to the ground floor of a three-story building is very different than moving off-campus. And where did you get the idea that the government was paying for ANY of these accommodations? It doesn't. Accommodations are the responsibility of the institution.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment