Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students ith disability

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom, but they overcome their problems focising on what they need to do....

Eduardo,
Isn't that true for ALL students, disabled or not? Another way in which students with disabilities are more LIKE their peers than they are different!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

students who have disabilities may have a little more difficulty trying to keep up in their classes but they want to be treated just like everyone else and not like they are different. we should try harder to treat them with equality.

Summer,
While your statement may be true for *some* students with disabilities, and while I applaud your flexibility, it is important to keep in mind that some students with disabilities don't have trouble keeping up at all. Some disabilities do not interfere with fulfilling deadlines and timelines -- they are physical challenges or health related impairments that interfere with life more than the academic environment.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I can say I have actually seen students with disabilities exceed just as much if not more than their peers. The mere fact that they are choosing to educate themselves is an achievement. It is an achievement even withuot a disability!

RONDA,
The key here is your last sentence. Always remember that students with disabilities are more LIKE their nondisabled peers than they are different. Neither your expectations for them, nor their likelihood of success should change solely because they have a disability!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

wow, are we stereotyping students with disabilities. All students, including those with disabilities can overcome theor problems in class by focusing on the tasks at hand. Often times, through creativity and a little imagination, the tasks can be mastered and the student can walk away actualy having fun doing it.

darlene,
As you note, the trick is to remember that students with disabilities ARE typical students in most ways, like their classmates in goals and in behavior.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment