Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student with disability

I do believe that the school should say something to the students. just don't lead them into something that they will not be able to do.

Eduardo,
I think I agree with you. I am just not sure what "something" suggests here, Eduardo. I can't tell whether you are suggesting an honest description of the demands of the field, or a well-meant statement that this isn't the right place for them. Perhaps it would be better to say, "...just don't discourage them from pursuing a field if they are fully informed."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe all schools need to have a disability office on campus. I have noticed when this does not occur, students do not get all the proper accommodations or students get more than what is required by law and students then take advantage of instructors.

Stacey,
I agree with you. I think having someone who is specifically assigned to gather documentation, assign accommodations, and follow up as needed makes all the difference in the world to BOTH students and to faculty. Both need support from the administrative side to make sure things go smoothly and appropriately.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree, some schools are only looking at the dollar sign.

Dave,
I agree, wholeheartedly, that student welfare is more important that the bottom line generated by student tuition. BUT... the trick is to be honest without being unduly restrictive in your counseling regarding potential and opportunities. We want ALL students to have a clear understanding of their prospects.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe that people are quick to judge those with disabilities and write them off and a liability in most cases. I have worked with many people that have disabilities as my mom is an ISP. The fact that people suggest accommodations are used to the advantage of the student is a ridiculous notion. The students was assigned those accommodations due to the severity of there disability. Overall I just think everyone should open there eyes a little more and treat those with disabilities as equals and not be so quick to judge.

Shaine,
I couldn't agree more. Students with disabilities would fare much better if folks concentrated on their skills, rather than their limitations.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

After taking this course, I completely agree with having a disability office on campus. There is alot of information and laws protecting those with disabilities, it would be best to have one specific office they go to, that way every detail is looked at and this way they can assure the student receives all the accommodations they are entitled to.

Angela,
If there isn't such an office on your campus, perhaps you can use what you learned here to advocate for one. Make sure the administration understands that such a unit protects the rights of students with disabilities, but does so in the context of protecting the institution and the teaching faculty. It is the disability service provider's job to protect the college by making sure that the college meets its legal requirements.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment