Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

the impact of disability

There can be many issues when it comes to disability and the ability for students to get the knowledge that they need.

The issue of disability and ability is ultimately up to the student. There is not one instructor that would allow a student without a diagnosed disabilty to sit uninvolved in class without drive or purpose anymore than to allow a student with a disability to do that. Any student that applies for education in a higher learning institution should understand that they are there to interact and to better themselves. It is a choice not a mandate I believe any student that makes a sincere effort to succeed will.

Julia,
You have a great deal of faith in the engagement of faculty in the task of TEACHING -- and that's great. I gather what you say is true at your institution, and I wish it were always the way. But regardless of faculty efforts to get ALL students involved, I think what you say about students with disabilities is certainly true. If they come in with the same attitudes and goals as their classmates, they are likely to experience the same learning and outcomes.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Drive and desire are huge factors in overcoming any challenges.

Daniel,
I agree that student attitude and engagement are critical in student success... but first, they need to have the opportunities to learn the info and demonstrate their achievement in ways that are available (accessible) to them. That is what the accommodation process is all about.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think by the time a student gets out of high school voc rehab or the like should have stepped in and helped them plan for the future.

Michael,
Not every student with a disability is connected to voc rehab -- or wants to be! It is a good alternative for some, but it isn't a universal answer.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

It is the job of both the instructor and the school to accommodate students. I am surprised to not see more mention of this.

Kelly,
Actually, legally, it is the responsibility of the school to see that students receive accommodations. If they assure this by placing expectations on instructors (as a part of institutional policy), then instructors may, indeed, be responsible. But the entities covered under federal law are institutions, not individuals.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment