Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Impact of disability in classroom

Some students with disability can and have creat challenges in the classroom.

Carolyn,
That's true. But then, some students WITHOUT disabilities face great challenges in the classroom. The trick is to remember that students with disabilities are more LIKE other students than different. Their challenges in the classroom may stem from someplace different, but they often are no more or less than that of students who are, for example, academically under-prepared.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

trying to accomidate the student with disabilities can sometimes take away from the time needed for the whole class . How do you handle that ?

Darcie,
I am not sure what accommodations you are being asked to provide, Darcie, but there is something wrong with the system if you are taking time from other students in order to ACCOMMODATE students with disabilities. I put the word in caps because I wanted to distinguish between the legally required accommodations, necessary for access, and efforts at remediation that may be institutionally mandated but are not part of the accommodation process. You should speak with the powers-that-be at your institution to help you review the institutional resources being made available to you, as an instructor, in meeting these responsibilities.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

True... I think another big difference is the disabled student's attitude. "I know I have a diability but I really want to work through it" as opposed to "I have a disabilty and this school owes me."

Dave,
Don't discount the possibility of a very real third possibility -- "I have a disability but I am perfectly capable of doing the work with appropriate support." I applaud students who want to "tough it out" for their tenacity, but I don't think students who choose to use the accommodations and arrangements made available to them should be discounted.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree. It's all in the positive attitude of those with the disability to make themselves the success they want to be.It may take them longer, but if they have a goal in mind they could accomplish it.

Lisa,
Hmmm... I agree with your intent, Lisa. Students with disabilities are responsible for their own success -- AS IS TRUE FOR ANY STUDENT -- based on their skills, abilities, and attitude. But remember that it doesn't matter how willing and able I am to do the work, if the work is not presented in a way that I can reach it, I can't participate, much less succeed. Faculty have responsibilities here, too!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment