Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

communication barrier

I believe ESL should be considered as a disability and student should be given more test time.

Carolyn,
At many institutions they DO choose to give ESL students extended time, but it is not because they have a disability. Such students *do* have a substantial limitation (as you note, in communication), but it is NOT the result of a physical or mental impairment.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I am very pleased with your response. If I went to France and refused to study the language or the materials and even attended class infrequently I should not be able to rightfully claim disability. Those that work hard should be accomodated on a case by case basis. A per se diability rule for ESL would further the demise of education, as we would be pandering to the uninitiated. It gripes me that anyone would even suggest it.

Richard,
In order for a student to be considered disabled, they should have "a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities." You have to have both pieces -- the impairment AND the substantial limitation -- not just one of the two! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

This language helps to clear up the ambiguity for me. Impairment and substantial limitation should be a good rule of thumb in order to assess someone for accommodation. Thank you for your clarification. I find this very helpful.

Butch,
I think some folks worry, at times, that the laws provide a "leg up" for folks who don't really have a disability. But if things are monitored correctly, you needn't worry. There IS method to the madness! GRIN

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I'm not sure of a solution for this situation, but I too have experienced frustration over the communication barrier present with ESL students. I'd like some more tips on keeping the class moving foward, while not leaving anyone behind. I've taken a spanish course and an ASL course to improve my skill set but not arabic, vietnamese, etc...How far must I go?

Daniel,
Issues of support for ESL students are outside my realm of expertise, as ESL status does not equate with disability. But I am guessing that some of the same strategies used for assuring access for students with disabilities might be useful for this population, particularly an emphasis on expected outcome/achievement, rather than on process. The original question dealt with the issue of providing extended time for ESL students. If you know a student is having trouble with the language issues, and if giving them extra time to work through the language issues would improve their ability to show what they know, then I would argue it as a good strategy. *Unless you grade on a curve,* giving that extra time for the ESL student does not impact on the grade of any other student, so the issue of "fairness" isn't really an issue.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Dr. Jarrow,

The key to the proper implementation of the requirements of the law seems to be as you state "if things are monitored correctly." A properly trained person on staff at the institution to insure that monitoring of the students with disabilities as defined by the law appears to be necessary to oversee that accommodations are provided to maintain equal access.

Mary,
That isn't the ONLY way to do it, but experience suggests that it is the best way to handle it. Having someone from the institution who is knowledgeable about issue of disability, accommodation, and the law seems the best way to protect the students, the faculty/staff, and the institution.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

If at all possible, you can offer to any student who feels they may need more time with tests, to come earlier to class (before class actually starts) to begin the test early. That way you are offering it to anyone who wants the opportunity and being 100% fair. You also won't be spending your WHOLE class period just taking a test and letting your other students just sit there and wait.

Amy,
I think you have mixed two possibilities together here, and neither of them are being used wisely. You suggest that the current system at your school is to give students with disabilities the extended time they need on tests by keeping everyone else waiting until the disabled student is finished. If that is what is happening at your institution, you need to go to the administration and request that this policy be examined. They should be making arrangements for the student with a disability to test elsewhere. But to suggest that EVERYONE (and anyone) be given extra time to finish the test by inviting them to come early defeats the purpose of extended time for students with disabilities. The extended time is not "extra time over the time normally allotted". It is "extra time above that allowed to other students." If you give everyone more time, than the student with a disability gets their additional time added on to that amount.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment