Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

CAN-SPAM

What is the single most important item you learned about emailing students and how will it change your daily communication style?

I was not aware that a physical address must be present in the email.

Constance,

There are several rules to follow in regard to emailing prospective and current students (customers)that must be followed. Another item to be keenly aware of is if you are emailing a lead beyond 90 days you must allow them the opportunity to opt out of the correspondence.

Cindy Bryant

This gets particularly tricky. To remain compliant with Federal Regulations, a physical address must be in the email. However, we have several states where we are licensed where we have to use a particular address which is associated with the license or in some cases we are actually forbidden from using a particular address in a particular state. Staff must be aware of both set of regulations, because being compliant with one could put you out of compliance with another if you aren't aware of the correct information to use.

That an email from a school representative may be an advertisement.

Bridgette,

You bring up some interesting points to consider. I assume that your organization has schools in multiple locations therefore this can become an issue. I would closely consult with your compliance department on what is the most appropriate method to be used.

Cindy Bryant

having to insure that the physical address is in the email, as well as giving the opt out option after 90 days of contact

Basically, that I need to be upfront and disclose as much information as necessary. My name, my company, my purpose, even my address and phone number all help. I think the more info you give right away- the better. Be clear and specific and give them all the facts. I think it's what I would expect as a consumer myself.

The single most important item I learned about emailing students is that when sending out emails the email should indicate an address, indicate that the email is an advertisement, and that the subject line must be included. I am not involved with this daily type of communication style but as a consumer I appreciate knowing the purpose of the emails that I receive from solicitors.

Nancy,

Hi! I am happy that the course was beneficial in providing new information for a consumer. :)

Cindy Bryant

Make it clear and specific. Make sure I state my name, company, address, phone number and most important the purpose of the email. The email should have all the information the receiver should need.

that if the students gets a email for from the school they are attending to see how things are going for the,or even if they were in class that day. they will gwt a good feeling knowing you are not forgetting them.

To insure that the physical address is in the email, provide as much information as needed possible such as the subject and the main purpose of the email.

Desiree,

I agree that acknowledging students is a great way to recognize their feelings. Are you able to explain how such an email could be related to Can-Spam?

Cindy Bryant

Ensuring that all required components are included in each email communication to ensure compliance. Working a number of education systems with locations in various states provides another layer of difficulty in complying with these rules and guaranteeing that an accurate physical address is included in each communication.

To make sure i have clearly stated I am communicating from a college and disclose that upfront along with my full name, address & phone

Brandy,

Since you have taken this course will you change the way you communicate with your students via email? Thank you for participating in the forum.

Cindy Bryant

The most important thing was the opt out clause and the 3 month rule. So I will be working with my manager on a way that we can get this added to all of our outgoing emails. It will also give me reason to watch the contact dates for a prospective student.

robert,

If your emails are commercial in nature the opt-out is important feature. Admissions emails are usually an attempt to provide a service (education) to the consumer therefore the opt out should be included.

Cindy Bryant

when emailing students it is very important that the message is clear and the information is accurate. Also give the students the option to opt out from further emails.

Sign In to comment