Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Your Leadership Legacy | Origin: LS104

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Your Leadership Legacy 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Your Leadership Impact | Origin: LS103

Your Leadership Impact

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

How Do You Lead? |Origin: LS102

How Do You Lead?

Do You Manage Or Lead? | Origin: LS101

Do You Manage Or Lead?

Managers and Leaders

This topic is very important to all faculty.

All faculty are leaders. I do believe that we do interchange between the role of leader and manager.

As a leader, we do go back and forth between us the faculty and the students. We assess the group and find out what we need to do to help the students learn and understand.

Love the toolkit

I really liked this lesson. I guess that is why I got a 100 on the assessment. All the others I got 80. I really connected to this. 

Leadership Legacy

This one really has me thinking especially since I want to transition to higher ed from K-12 ed.

Management /Leadership

Great Topics, so privileged to receive this information. My organization is giving me the needed tools to help move our department in the right direction.  

leader vs manager

I have discovered in my time here that my role switches between the two.  At times we have to manage the process and in other situations, we must influnance other to embrace the same.  

Leader or Manager

As your career progresses will it be likely to change you focus from one of a leader vs. manager and vice versa?

Difference between Managers and Leaders

In LS101, Are you Managing or Leading, John Kotter said that "Managers focus on promoting stability.  Leaders press for change".   I also learned in this course that Meg Whitman, ebay's former CEO is a "High-end Manager" who uses the combined qualities of a manager and leader.  My question is, do you find it challenging at times to use this combination in accomplishing tasks and goals of the company you own or work for or, is it easier to use the combination? 

Thanks for sharing.

Edna

Learning/developing by teaching

I have had the experience of remembering something more easily if I had a conversation about it. As an educator, I enjoy teaching because I learn so much from my students and is sometimes in awe of their perspectives.

Do you find training a manager/leader facilitate the development of your leadership skills?

Leadership

The stories about the principles are touching. They make me think about why i am a Teacher. Great stuff !

Leadership

I have been through leadership training in the past. I enjoyed this course because I coul do it at my own pace. 

Level of Management

When hiring a manager, it is important not only to look at what the current level of supervision is.  In many cases, the position is in a state of growth so therefore it is important to ensure that the candidate will be able to keep up with the anticipated increase of responsibility.

Leadership Impact

After taking this course, I've learned how important followers are to the leadership impact. All pieces are necessary to obtain results. I've always been under the impression that it's on the leader; however, the overlapping framework is critical. I hope to implement many of the strategies from this course into my professional development to create a more positive environment for my team.

Left over behaviors

I find that the greatest challenge with leading is when you have to lead those that were previously mislead. The challenge is that the processes and vision are not new but it is a big "change" for them to conform when they previously did not. I feel that poor leadership can have lasting consequences on staff. This lesson has reinforced the importance of quality management and leadership teams that work together honestly and that realize their actions have lasting consequences for others.

Managers and Leaders

Great subject matter.  I can see where the combination of the two is effective and also the use of two different individuals in this position is just as important.

A Leader for Change...

Many times as leaders we tend to flow with the norm that has already occurred, I found that I tend to observe my environment, make an analysis and then I will act. Often my actions do not flow in the same direction, as I tend to flow for change, to make things better and more innovative. This type of leadership has worked well for me and I have been in this industry for 15 years and it helps to build a team environment and bring co-workers closer to reaching and managing their goals. If we are in the business of… >>>

By example..

Well I learn from the best of the best! Listen Listen and learn