Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Leadership & Management must go hand in hand

They may not be the same thing, but they surely complement each other.

Being able to change the future and lives of as many people as we can!

I am excited to say that I have always enjoyed helping people and I am even more excited to know being in this new field of work that I will be able to change some lives too.

I am excite to actually get a chance to change lives!

Being a part of something that will give a person a new start in there life.

Manager/Leader

I have the largest problem with seperating the two. I guess I feel that all Managers should be Leaders. It's a balance of the two that can make the difference. Does anyone else have a problem seperating the two as I do? What practices can I put in place to make certain I am balancing the two?

Managing and Leading

I feel despite the need to clearly define Leadership and Management, it’s a blurry path. Not often are we clearly able to determine which is in play at any given time. As a result, it’s best to understand both and when in doubt fall back to your training. Very similar to an athlete. You have to trust your training. Now if you don’t have training you have a problem. With this in mind, what are some steps that we can take to "train".

Military knowledge helps me in corporate

I notice my military training has prepared me to what has become second nature with me. Making sure a person is sharing the same vision of the organization helps a lot. I have avoided leadership positions because of other commitments. However, co-workers and friends have come to me for directions. My initial exposure to leadership was during Army basic training when I was given the role a platoon guide. Following that was Senior Army ROTC, then on to obtaining my commission as an Adjutant General Officer Platoon leader with a platoon of 60 soldiers. In the Army had to have… >>>

Blending Styles

I think the best leaders are able to use all six styles depending on the situation.

Complimenting each other

Managers and leaders will compliment each other but which is better a boss who is a good leader with a person working for them who is a good manager or a boss who is a good manager having someone work for them who is a good leader?

Manage things Lead people

Often times when talking about getting people to perform we use the word management. I don't think we should think in terms of managing people. People are most effectively lead, not managed.

Ethnicity in leadership

is there a difference in an individual cultural background as it relates to leadership and/or management style?

leaders verses managers

leaders are some one who one wants to follow. managers are in the moment

Leadership

I find students respond much better to an instructor if they view them as leaders, not managers.

Being Both Manager & Leader

I used to think that you were either a micro-manager or a macro-manager. I didn't even really consider how leadership worked into the whole process as well. I find it hard to believe that a company can be truly successful with only managers (because they wouldn't have leaders to inspire vision) but then if they only had leaders (who would ensure the day-to-day activities were happening)? I think true success would be having both in the organization and at all levels.

At what point does a leader decrease, to allow followers to increase?

I know a leader must be charismatic and vision motivated, but when does one in such a position take advice from his/her followers?

The impact of the situation

How does the situation affect how a leader engages followers?

Comparing assessment tools for professional development

Compare and contrast the tools described in this lesson/overall program. Which type of assessment tool is most applicable for your professional development?

Achieving better results with a Personal Leadership Development Plan

How can creating a Personal Leadership Development Plan help you achieve better results at work? Your personal life?

Dissecting the importance of SMART goals

Describe the importance of the "M" in SMART goals?

The importance of emotional intelligence

What aspects of emotional intelligence are most important to leadership skill development?

Self-management skills vs. Relationship Skills

What is more critical: Self-Management skills or Relationship skills? Explain.