Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faculty Division

What identifiers do you look for to determine if an employee is causing division in the faculty and how do you address it?

N.,
This can be identified by other employees reactions to this person in a meeting. Polarization by this person regarding negative leadership with road blocks to progress. The best way to deal with these people are to be clear with the objectives and goals and the expectations of everyone to contribute to the success. If the goals are accepted as a team with collaboration the people who are against it will appear as anti team members. My steps are clear with these people. Talk with them and give them the road path of the company and how you would like them to join the team with their talents. If they cannot see it fitting to do so they should help their own mental health by moving on to the next place of employment.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I look to see first if the person takes responibilty for their own actions,or do they always direct it some where else

Robbie,
Understanding why people exhibit certain behaviors is the answer to better communication and leadership for that person. When people seem to fail or succeed on any task their behavior is the leading attribute to why they seem to succeed or not. Your observation is a good technique.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The things I look for are to see if the employee always agrees with certain people in meetings and disagree with others. I make sure to let the employee know the plan and goals of the company or projects so that he or she has an understanding of what is needed of them. Once they know that its important that if they are being negative on the way certain processes are done not just to say it but do something about it like give other possible ways to make improvements.
It is extremely important to hold people accountable for their actions,and most of the time when people try to cause division among others they never take responsibility and blame their actions on others.

Rafael,

It is important we let people know the expectations we have for them on the job. Transparency is extremely important to create individual ownership of their task. When we can provide this accountability is measured with agreement and knowledge of the expected outcomes.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I look to the amount of interactions and the communicates between them. I also study the person's body language and reaction to direction when requesting a team task. Further, I listen to the party converse and see how they speak of others. I currently work with someone that does not get along well with other instructors and there are times that she isolates herself from activities we often do as a group outside of work. Others read her facial expressions too and her comments are not so positive. Often, I have taken the initiative to invite her personally and that seems to work.

Sign In to comment