Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being a good manager

After reading the material involved in the course, I agree with the challenges that may occur for managers. Being hired in as a new manager when various individuals in house applied for the same position can be challenging; however, knowing yourself and preparing the be supportive of the team is crucial for success.

I agree that there are challenges as managers. But really understanding what, why and how you can motivate you staff is a great quality to have as a manager

Karen,
yes, tapping into those various motivational ideas, styles, & techniques is key.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Knowing your team and learning from them is also a bonus.

Melissa, I agree with you about the challenges that occur for new managers. I think one of the most interesting challenges is that which occurs because many of us are promoted into management positions because we are high achievers in our previous job. We are then thrust into a role which most of us are not as well prepared for as we had hoped! Training is not usually available to the extent we could wish for -- as the course discussed, much of what we learn is on the job training and by trial and error! I appreciate courses like this that first of all let me know that I am not alone! Secondly, I appreciate the opportunity to learn new concepts and skills to help me such as developing my emotional intelligence.

Everything that everyone said is completely true.  The one thing that I have learned over the years is that having multiple personalities does not have to besomething bad or mean some sort of mental disorder.  As a leader and a manager you have to wear the cap that comes with multiple personalities because you will encounter a different personality with each employee.  Leaders have to recognize this to get the job done and carry out the vision.

From my perspective, a good manager is part of the team - not always the team driver.....

Being a good manager requires managers to interact and motivate employees in different ways. Not everyone, responds to different managing styles the same. So, a manager needs have good skills to "read someone" and have the ability to apply different magaing styles to motivate each employee to their max potential. A great manager is like a professional poker player or detective, having the ability to read someone and motivate the employee before the employee's motivation starts to decline.

I agree , you have to know who you are and be team player in order to lead effectively.

Sign In to comment