Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Revitalizing an "old team" with "new tricks"

I am currently managing 15 team members and majority of the team are over 50 I am in my last 20's. I have been getting the worse treatment and seperation from this team. I dont know if it is because of the age, or is it something deeper. I have never been a "click" person.

Terrell ,

You are certainly in a difficult situation! I would not take their treatment personally. One strategy would be to give each person a project to lead. Making them the "expert" for a project will lessen their resistance to you. Keep in mind that they see you as young and inexperienced, even if that is not an accurate representation. As such, a disciplinarian or authoritarian approach will only alienate them further. Even though it takes more time, asking for their opinions and finding consensus will save you lots of time on the back end.

Best of luck!

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree that it sounds like this team sees Terrell as young and inexperienced and it's crucial that he doesn't take this personally. I have found that getting buy in from members and listening to all team members and their opinions is so important to make progress.

Patricia ,

While listening is important, walking-the-walk is even more important. Especially for young managers, leading by example is crucial to earning respect of the more experienced employees. There is one piece of advice I always give to young managers. Don’t be afraid to ask your experienced team members for guidance. A manager does not need to know everything. Sometimes, new managers feel that asking their employees questions makes them look weak. In reality, it shows that you are comfortable in your role and have respect for all opinions.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Terrell,

Having been there and done what you are currently doing at your age, I too found it difficult at first to manage a team several years my senior; the way that I was able to overcome this was to make them partners in everything we were accomplishing as a team. Whether that was executed with giving some team members more responsiblity, or making others responsible for tasks they were particularly skilled in, the matter was that you have to take the time to find the strengths of each player and let them shine in that way; that will foster their respect for you!

John,

Excellent advice, John! Especially for young managers, leading by example is crucial to earning respect of the more experienced employees. There is one piece of advice I always give to young managers. Don’t be afraid to ask your experienced team members for guidance. A manager does not need to know everything. Sometimes, new managers feel that asking their employees questions makes them look weak. In reality, it shows that you are comfortable in your role and have respect for all opinions.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Sign In to comment