Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Self-Leadership

Leadership begins with self-leadership. Until you know who you are, your purpose, your strengths and talents, you cannot be authentic. Authenticity is the opposite of ambiguity.

Team Member Differences

In a team meeting, before we got started I put a blank sheet of paper on the tables in front of my team with instructions they were not to turn them over, write on them or touch them. They found that difficult. At the end of the meeting I then gave them the same instructions with the exception that they were to pick up the paper and ball it up. I picked up a trash can and put it in the middle of the floor and told them that from where they were they were to toss the paper in… >>>

Parking Lot

Often times during a meeting a "bunny trail" may begin between 2 members of the group. By using the parking lot method, the team members know the "bunny trail" may be addressed at the next meeting and we are able to move on without appearing to trivialize any potentially valuable thoughts.

PositiveTeam Progress

The concept of breaking down a decision into smaller pieces was very helpful in our team going forward with a huge project. The project involved personal accountability of each member in order for the project to be completed accurately. How do you set appropriate time limits for each team member as some have different work loads but all need to complete their "piece" project?

Group Think

Any tips on how to avoid 'group think' in project teams - particularly within smaller companies that tend to lack the diversity of larger firms?

Decision Concesis

The concept of breaking down a decision into smaller pieces was very helpful.

Favoritism effects the team

When a manager shows favoritism to one team member, the other team members will notice. This could have a negative impact on the overall team's comradery and productivity. Any thoughts?

Getting Managers Prepared for a meeting

We have multiple managers in our department and during meetings they make decisions without knowing all the facts or being on the same page. This is very concerning to faculty. How can managers avoid confusion when creating a meeting agenda?

Meeting for the sake of meeting.

In my opinion meetings should only take place when they are necessary. Managers & line level employees should be communicating daily, in person and/or by email. Having a meeting only because "it's meeting day" take away from regular operations & that never works well.

Transitioning from friend to manager

What are some ways to deal with managing people that I used to be friends with? I have found that it can be difficult to be taken seriously in my new position by the people who worked under the manager before me. What can I do to gain more respect among such employees?

Resolving team conflicts

Resolving team conflicts really stood out for me.Especially the four steps to resolving conflicts. Applying this concept to a team enviroment for me will help keep peace,bring more order and easy resolutions for my team. The one that will be applied the most for my team is Negotiate a resolution. It is important for teams to come to a common ground and explore new possibilites

Promoted to a high level stress department

I was recently promoted to a different department as a manager. In this department I deal with stress every day. I will appreciate any insight on how to deal with a very high level of stress on a regular basis.

Improving Communication

Our Team is in the field the majority of the day with limited time spent together. How can we tackle all of these issues in one meeting if we meet once a week?

Too Young to be taken seriously??

I seem to have an issue everywhere I work where I am much younger than other people in my position and my peers dont take me seriously and act like I dont know enough to be able to bring anything to the table. I have gone through the exact same schooling and training - if not more!! I just worked straight through instead of taking breaks. How do I get them to realize I got this job for a reason and I do know what I am doing??

Planning the meeting

I was never aware of the components that are necessary for a successful meeting. This has really opened my eyes. thanks

Personal integrity

Personal integrity is an individual’s decency, respectability, and character. Morally decent individuals are honest and fulfill their commitments. An individual of integrity treats everyone they encounter with respect, fairness, impartiality, and compassion, seeing in others a reflection of themselves. Personal integrity is a necessary component of a supervisor and leader. It is essential in achieving respect for oneself, and the respect and cooperation of others. Maintaining one’s personal integrity is essential if you want your direct reports to follow you. One must lead by example, set the bar, and always display professionalism. If a manager jeopardizes his/her personal integrity once,… >>>

Managing Direct Report Insecurities due to rapid changes

How do you effectively manage insecurities and subsequently motivate your direct reports when upper management is experience a series of personnel changes?

The Peter Principle

I have recently encountered the Peter Principle (people are promoted to their level of incompetence) in a real-world application, and as a result I have begun to reassess my perceptions that hard work, dedication to ones career/job, job competency, and team leadership skills, would be sufficient for upward movement. Could someone clarify why this type of a senior might transpire in today’s completive economic situation businesses are facing? I would perceive that companies would want the most qualified individuals in key management positions.

Rewarding Success

I have found that rewarding employees for the work they have accomplished can be very important. Prior to this course I had always let the employee know that I appreciate everything that they do, and that they are doing a good job. I find this gives the employees a better feeling about what they have done, and that what they do, is getting noticed. What I did learn, is that by creating a safe enviroment, it will give the employees a place to get away and vent frustration.

Leading and Motivating

I'm blown away by this course. The things I'm learning about vision and leadership will really help. I plan to set a clear vision for my department and will implement the things I have learned in this course.