Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

directive skills

Being firm with employees up front and you will gain respect quick!!

I agree to a certain extent. If you are taking over a department, you may want to get to know the team before you become the authoritive person. If you have a new team, I feel it is more safe to use that approach.

Respect generally comes with time. If you are trying to change the direction of the team or make major changes in the program some collaboration (and often compromise) is in order - unless you are certain you decisions are 100% correct.

test

One thing a new manager can do when taking over a team without coming in like a bull in a china shop is to call a team meeting and say, "now for my first few weeks, I will be simply observing how things work. I wont be making any changes unless absolutely necessary - because I would like you to show me how you have been doing business. After a few weeks, we will reconvene and discuss my observations."

A new manager can be a stressful experience, for both the team and the manager. A new manager must use his/her new authority to quell uncertainty. Don't make changes, but assure the team it will be status quo for a while to "get up to speed".

Managers who don't understand this usually fail right at the outset.

-R

Sign In to comment