Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Manage timing

How you can decide on how long will your meeting be for?

Eduardo,

Each item needs to be considered for time that seems reasonable. As a leader you may want to adjust if necessary. Some items may need to be put on a later agenda.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Depends on the frequency of meetings and the importance of each issue.

Cynthia,

Meetings that are without expectations or purpose are wasted time. Meetings scheduled need to be of benefit to the stakeholders.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I facilitate a monthy meeting for Safety and I decide by the amount of topics on my agenda as well as previous experience of past meetings. I like to schedule them for 30-60m with the understanding of the participants that this means at least 30 but less than 61 minutes.

Andrea,
Your agenda must be well planned. It is important to announce the agenda early for your participants. The expectations of the meeting and outcomes need to be communicated. This helps with the time limits for your meetings.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree, which is another reason why it's important to stay on track during the meeting. As the gatekeeper, what do you do if the attendees frequently get off topic, despite your efforts to redirect them?

Candace ,
It is important to have knowledge of the expectations of the meeting distributed before the meeting. This will allow you to keep people on task when they vary from the agenda topic.

Gary

Dr. Gary Carlson

I suppose at some point you would have to dismiss early or even address the issue during the meeting break. Would that be proper?

Matt,
It always better to address issues for courtesy sake away from the group. This is also in classrooms if possible.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment