Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Replacing a Previous Leader

I recently took over as leader of a team. Their previous leader accepted a new job and had to step down.

What is the best practice for taking over a leadership role from someone else? Should I stick with the decision making process, meeting format, and other rules that the previous leader had in place? I am afraid to change too much because I am the newest member of the team and don't want to shake everything up right away.

Douglass,
These are very thoughtful questions! My suggestion is to ask the team there opinion about what is working and what isn’t working. Perhaps the meeting schedules are working but communication of results is not. Soliciting their input will demonstrate that you have an inclusive management style, as well. It is very important that you follow up on everything you say that you are going to do. Based on the posts I have seen from you, my hunch is that you will do very well and help your team with the transision.

Dr. Jamie Morley

One Question, where you part of the team before you took the role? If the answer is no, it’s a little bit harder because you don’t know the team’s needs. However, it is always good to have a feedback from the group of what is working and what is not. Changes may be hard for some people yet sometimes they are necessary. If that is the case the question should not be if the changes should be made, but how should they be presented to the team.

Thanks for your response. I was part of the team before, but only for 2 months. Most of the team members had been there for over a year. I definitely agree that the most important thing is to consider how to present new initiatives and ideas to the team.

Jose,
You mentioned some good ideas in your post. For one thing, you mentioned soliciting opinions from all the team members. This is very important, especially when a new leader is taking over a group. Sometimes however, as a manager, taking the decision of the group is not practical. Therefore, it is important that the team understands that you are open to suggestions and that you will not make "change" for "change sake" but that decisions must be made. Establishing credibility is the key!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Douglass,

You got it! Establishing credibility is the key so that when you present initiatives they are met with an open mind.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I found the best practices is establishing a rapport and new relationship with your staff based on the objectives and mission of your company and your personal goals and expectations for your team. You can incorporate some of the former leader's practices if you agree and it works for your team or incorporate new practices, the key is communicating these ideas effectively and defining the benefit to the team and company. Do not be afraid to incorporate change, just approach the task with enthusiasm and clear explanation of goals and objectives.

Lisa,

Many good points! While listening and communicating is important, walking-the-walk is even more important. Especially for young managers, leading by example is crucial to earning respect of the more experienced employees. There is one piece of advice I always give to young managers. Don’t be afraid to ask your experienced team members for guidance. A manager does not need to know everything. Sometimes, new managers feel that asking their employees questions makes them look weak. In reality, it shows that you are comfortable in your role and have respect for all opinions.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I experienced similar issues when I took over from my predecessor. I was working as a part time instructor and then became PD for the same department. It was, and still is a difficult transition to make, but with focus and listening the team accepted me. There was some attrition in individuals who felt they could not work with me, but many folks came to work well together.

Rachael,

Good for you. It sounds like you are doing the things necessary to be an effective leader. Especially in the beginning, the best leader is one who looks, listens, and learns about their team. That is a great way to earn respect. I also recommend that new leaders take and distribute good minutes and follow through on tasks. Walking the walk will establish a positive culture.

Dr. Jamie Morley

From what I've learned in this course, it would help to know how effective the team was. If the team members feel compfortable participating in meetings, have respect for each others input, have a history of making good decisions and getting things done, there would be no need to change the format. If the team lacked the ability to make decisions through open dialogue, this give you a great opportunity to move in a different direction.

Patricia,

Effective teams require effective leaders. It is amazing the impact that a new manager can have on a team by just opening the lines of communication and developing a safe, honest space for people to flourish. I am glad this course helped you come to this realization!

Dr. Jamie Morley

When I took over my current position 9 years ago, I was an outsider from a state 2700 miles away. I set an agenda for myself:
1. Meeting with the school executive director to understand my job description and discuss any significant problems that needed immediate resolution
2. Getting to know the roles and names of my team
3. Learning the program manual of instruction
4. Observing students and faculty in class, lab, and clinic
5. Reviewing student retention, placement, and third party passing rates.
6. Reviewing the curriculum
7. Making myself recognized as the leader.
8. Then holding my first team meeting to hear from the faculty and staff
9. I spent three months at this before I had enough input to implement much needed changes in the program.

It was a successful transition.

David,

Great story. Thanks for sharing.There is no substitute for getting into the weeds before assuming that you can effect change.

Ron Obstfeld

Replacing a previous leader is not always an easy task. There are some items, that in my experience are critical to make the transition effective and that will allow you to implement your initiatives and help improve the process. Get to really know your team, even when you believe you already know them, you are now on different role, and people will treat you different. Make sure that you keep an open line of communication, and get feedback from those that have been doing the job the longest, and also welcome some fresh ideas. Gather data before you make any decision. And do not try to fix what it is not broken.
There is always room for improvement, but as much as possible, a gradual and measured change tends to be more effective than a rushed and radical implementation of new policies and procedures just to set your position as the new leader. Earn your team trust, and then every new change will be much more easier to happen.

Daniel,
Another suggestion that works well is to make a team planning meeting where everyone can participate. This allows you to confirm or revise your teams tactical and strategic plan as a new team.

Ron Obstfeld

Douglass,
I am a new team leader that transferred from another region. I have taken time to make changes to my department norms. I feel this was the best decision since the team has been very sensitive to change. I feel that it has prevented me from being viewed as that the new leader. There needs to be some balance. We need to prevent fostering Groupthink.

Sign In to comment