Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Groupthink

This section was particularly effective as it shows that independent thought will be discouraged due to the group consenses.
Alternatives must always be considered.

Groupthink is an undiserable condition and many times it si the reason why intelligent and knowledgeable people make disastrous decisions. It prevents people from thinking about ideas and being innovative and curbs critical thinking and debate. Considering alternatives is very critical for team health and it is imperative taht teams inorder to be effective must weigh options and make informed decisions by refraining from groupthink mentality.

Groupthink is an undesirable condition and many times it is the reason why intelligent and knowledgeable people make disastrous decisions. It prevents people from thinking about ideas and being innovative and curbs critical thinking and debate. Considering alternatives is very critical for team health and it is imperative that teams in order to be effective must weigh options and make informed decisions by refraining from groupthink mentality.

Ricky,

I'm glad you found this class helpful. Can you give me one example about how you will use this information at work?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Anita,

You make some really good points. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20 and often time’s people realize that they have succumbed to groupthink when it is too late. Has there been a circumstance when you selected an alternative, which was the right decision?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Anita,

You make some really good points. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20 and often time’s people realize that they have succumbed to groupthink when it is too late. Has there been a circumstance when you selected an alternative, which was the right decision?

Dr. Jamie Morley

I enjoyed this section, its like adult peer pressure. I've actually noticed this more in movies than in my workplace. There's always someone upset if their friend/coworker doesn't agree or take their side. Its difficult to separate feelings from goals but necessary in efficient workplaces.

Danielle,
Agreed. People that are upset should be coached that business discussions and decisions are not personal. Being upset does not help the team dynamic nor is it productive. You might want to explain your position and the specifics that brought you to your point of view. In the end, coworkers need to control their emotions and focus on the tasks on hand.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree with Danielle, I have seen group think in the work place in forms of "clicks" the strongest, most opinionated person in the "click" takes over and everyone else just agrees with that person so as not to get on that persons "bad side" and be disliked. They are afraid to express their own opinion for fear of being "cast out". It is sad.

Rose,

What are some things that can be done to eliminate or reduce group think? We all agree that it is not a constructive situation but how can you minimize it's effect?

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment