Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Vision

Must your vision as a leader always be long term? Can you have a motivating short term vision?

VARA,
this is a good question. I believe you can have both. However, I would say you need the long-term vision or over-arching vision, & then maybe some shorter term goals or a vision that fits in the larger framework.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I absolutely agree. I believe that long-term visions and goals must be supported by short-term, obtainable goals. Of course, as you note, these short term goals need to be part of the big picture.

Matt,
yes & the short-term should flow from the long-term; we have to maintain sight on the long-term.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

An effective vision is always realistic and compelling.

An effective vision is always Realistic and compelling. Also clarify the general direction for the future, efficiently coordinate the actions of different people. even if such changes are personally painful.

Long term vision is essential for continuous motivation. Short term goals should always point to the long term vision. Short term goals are excellent motivators in keeping people moving in the long term direction. They are also measurable.

Thomas,
yes the short term goals must be driven ultimately by the long term vision which should be inspiring.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment