Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Objective Assessments

I really like the use of objective assessments. It simplifies the information for the students. I teach a lot of medical terminology courses and this helps student with the thousands of terms that they have to learn on a monthly basis. Letrice Mitchell

Before and After Assessments

I think that students should take assessments before a course begins and at the end as well. This gives the student an idea of what the course will entail and while taking the course they will be reminded of that question that may have been missed. Mrs. Mitchell

Should we use subjective written communication more?

It seems that we generally give objective tests to students in the lower level classes and more subjective tests as the classes progress to the graduate level courses. Is this appropriate? Or should lower level classes also be expected to communicate in writing on subjective tests? What if the student does not go on for graduate level classes? Have we done an injustice to the student by not "forcing" the student to communicate in writing? I use the word "forcing" because students do not want to write papers. Although I am a CPA and deal a lot with numbers, business… >>>

Grading Rubrics

Why are grading rubrics important to have for all types of grading assessments?

Different Assessment Tools

I think that there should be many different assessment tools in a classroom. For example, students need to write papers (even though they don't want to)to give them experience in written communications in the business world. Also, multiple choice quizzes on the course content give instant feedback to the student since they can be arranged to be computer graded. The discussion board allows students to communicate in a written form and respond to others. This is important practice for the student to learn how to communicate to others in a more formal way than just e-mail. Lastly, at least one… >>>

Authentic Assessment

How do we insure that online courses provide measurable objectives and framework for authentic assessment?

Summative Assessment

What kind of feedback would you provide in a summative assessment? Austin

Rubrics

How can one determine the other effectiveness of a rubric?

Authentic Assessments

In our curriculum authentic assessments are the most important evaluation tool that we have. The students need feedback as to their ability to perform exercises, teach exercises, modify and progress exercises, and also connect with a potential client. The on-line environment has created many challenges, but we are learning to use technology more effectively. For example having the students record themselves demonstarting exercises and then submitting recordings. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives for authentic assessments for a fitness-based curriculum? Best practices?

Involving Students

Should involving students in the development of rubrics be a consistent activity or can you decide based on the class whether to involve students or not?

Building a Rubric

What are the levels of details that you include in your Rubric?

Benefits of Rubrics

I am trying to get my staff to use more rubrics however they think that I am adding paperwork. I hope that they will see the light once they start to use them.

Question

When do Rubrics become too cumbersome?

Online Learning Environment

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider? I would say that the most important things to consider in the online environment and assessment are first, make sure that you are assessing on what is being taught. I have noticed that often the assessment doesn't match the curriculum and have been able to help change a few courses so that it lines up and matches what is being learned. Next, I would say that you need to make sure that the students have… >>>

New Idea

I will be using more reubrics now that I know what it does.

Stressed Out

Rubrics comes in handy if you have a list of things you need the student to do for one project.

Rubrics

Are rubrics always necessary and if so, when should the students be involved? Terry

Generators

I have never used an online rubric generator do they really work well? Tery

Self-Assessment

I am not sure how well Self-assessment or peer-assessments work. What is everyone elses feeling on these? Terry

Types of Rubrics

I never realized that there were different types of rubrics. I thought they were all the same, but now I understand how they are different. Terry