Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Basic Parts of a Rubric

As described by D. Stevens (2005) Five Basic Parts of a Rubric Part 1: Course Learning Outcome We have added this as a rubric component (to the basic four outlined in Introduction to Rubrics). Course learning outcomes are your expectations for what you want students to learn by the end of a course. Your assignments and other curricular activities should help students achieve these outcomes and the rubric is an effective way of assessing the levels of their achievement. Placing the course learning outcome at the top of the grading rubric gives relevance to the assignment. Part 2: Task Description… >>>

Common mistakes to rubrics and disadvantages

They take more time to create and use. There are more possibilities for raters to disagree. It is more difficult to achieve intra- and inter-rater reliability on all of the dimensions in an analytic rubric than on a single score yielded by a holistic rubric. There is some evidence that raters tend to evaluate grammar-related categories more harshly than they do other categories (McNamara, 1996), thereby overemphasizing the role of accuracy in providing a profile of learners' proficiency. There is some evidence that when raters are asked to make multiple judgement, they really make one. Care must be taken to… >>>

Importance of Rubrics

Some advantages of using rubrics are: They provide useful feedback to learners on areas of strength and weakness. Their dimensions can be weighted to reflect relative importance. They can show learners that they have made progress over time in some or all dimensions when the same rubric categories are used repeatedly

Does it exist a specific number of words we should use for each

Does it exist a specific number of words we should use for each detail that we assess? I love rubrics. They might be time consuming but they are a great tool. The only major frustration I have had is to explain in few words my expectation in each detail I want to assess. Sometimes I feel I am not reaching out if I don't write a lot. It has been successful though so far; However, just for curiosity and improvement, I would love to hear from other educators and instructors if you have read how many words average we should… >>>

Does any of you have some experience with Dental Courses Rubrics?

I would like to have some feedback about this question because I would like to hear any other ideas about other type of rubrics that will be successful to do other than the Analytical. I have the tendency to do Analytical rubrics giving detail by detail of what I want to assess. I think is a great way to do them. But I am also open to new ideas. I have made them up, but I also will love to see any other rubric from a dental clinical instructor. So I could see what I could be missing.

Diagnostic Assessments

I love to use diagnostic assessments periodically throughout my classes to assess the students prior knowledge of a given topic we are about to cover. I tell the students these are not included in their grade, but just help me know what I need to focus on when teaching them. I then like to give the same assessment again at the end so they can compare where they were to where they are. Students are often quite amazed at how much they really learned when they compare the two assessments!!

Diagnostic assessment

I don't think we do enough of this. Pre-tests are important so that instructors can appropriately individualize instruction.

e-portfolios

I have used these for several years. I think we should start early in a student's career asking him/her to select the best work from each course to become part of a portfolio that will demonstrate growth, as well as skills the individual has mastered. An e-portfolio can go on a student's Web page or on a disc to be shared on interviews.

Are you being perceived negatively by students in your classroom?

Are you being perceived negatively by students in your classroom? After we set aside the hard grader and tough policy enforcement arguments some of which are not entirely valid, we are left with how students perceive us as faculty in chat, email and in the classroom. When we are sharing life-changing and positive advice, our approval ratings are through the roof! But when it comes time to deliver the bad news, many fall short. - How do you explain why plagiarism is not acceptable, but not viewed as an ogre? - How do you counsel a student on not giving… >>>

When Failure is Imminent

When Failure is Imminent A certain number of students fail classes every session. This is a hard fact. While we do everything in our power to help students succeed in the early weeks of class, some students will arrive at a point of no return where they no longer can pass a class. Our messages now need to shift. Confronting failure is a serious blow to a student’s ego, make no bones about it. How can an instructor mitigate the circumstances and nurture a failing student's willingness to take the class again next session? And feel good about doing it?

Outside Resources

Outside Resources I use other technology outside of that provided by the university. To have some fun in the classroom, I subscribe to www.animationfactory.com – I get cool animated gifs and great powerpoint backgrounds. As silly as this may sound, students comment on the FUN graphics and how it makes everything come to life and seem more interesting. Every session a few students email me weekly and say that they look forward to seeing what crazy graphic will be used on an email or a posting. Anything that can make a student look forward to information about an assignment is… >>>

Applying alternative and authentic assessments to accounting courses

I've taught accounting courses for a few years. There has been some consistency in the assessments. How would I find examples of alternative and authentic assessments used in accounting courses?

Rubrics

Do you think it really is beneficial to involve the students in the creation of the rubrics?

Generators

What are your thoughts of the rubric generator?

Rubrics

Do you think the rubric setup is more beneficial for the student or the instructor?

Grading

Do you think it is best to have the mean grade percentage of exams available for view to the entire class so that they can see what the overall grade was for everyone on an assignment?

Importance of Diagnostic Assessments

From my past experience as a student, I found that most educators seem to miss this crucial step. Just getting a brief synopsis of what your students know or don't know about the class can greatly impact they way you approach the material and how successful your students are in that class. Every class I teach, even if it's for the same subject, I teach differently depending on the types of students I may have that semester. What are your thoughts?

Using Track Changes in Word

I was thinking that this particular tool would be quite effective in providing feedback on Individual Projects but I'm really uncertain as to how this should be set up. It's seems to me that it's better than the tool that has been provided as part of the"turn it in" program. Has anyone tried using this? I don't know that it's practical to have each student submit a draft ahead of time - this would be awfully time consuming for both students and instructor.

Value added assessment

We use value added assessment nearly every day. As students progress through the course,we evalate their improvement in the performance of tasks they will be charged with when entering the work force.

Rubrics Role

I have not used this grading system for my math classes. I was wondering how I could apply this method in my program?