Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grading Rubrics

Why are grading rubrics important to have for all types of grading assessments?

Hi Jean,

To start with an instance many students encounter throughout their education: I sometimes felt that my grade should have been higher based on the assignment instructions, but there was "the instructor is always right" philosophy at the university. Ironically, now I am a student again at the same university (MBA) and often get myself in trouble for questioning a grade. :) I think the problem is that instructional design has taught me how to quantify even the most softest of the soft sciences in the form of grading rubrics. My statistics instructor provided a grading rubric, but not my corporate strategy instructor under the statement that "you can't quantify it". Unfortunately for me and several of my like-minded cohort, the suggestion of a clearly-defined grading rubric was declined. I guess instructors can make the worst students sometimes. :)

But more to the point, rubrics protect both the instructor and the student. They allow for greater communication of knowledge between instructor and student. And provide a demonstrative, qualitative list of how knowledge and the course objectives have been passed from instructor to student and to what degree. In theory this is what grades should do, but grades are too vague. Rubrics break it down to exactly what transpired. They also make for great educational diagnostics! Rubrics can help both the instructor and student determine where the student needs the most help.

Grading Rubiks helps the student to understand what is expected, and What they will be graded on. Makes it grading the same for every student and protects the instructors from being accused of showing favoritism. It also can help the instructor will help to lay out their instructions and how and what they teach.

Jean,

Particularly with writing, it sets expectations for students regarding their work. It also provides you with a more objective framework to grade papers. I find that it keeps grade inflation at bay.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christina,

Great post! You really answered the question well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Grading rubrics remove ambiguity and defines the grading process in a clear manner.

Steven ,

You are right and it sets expectations for all. Great answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Grading rubrics level the playing field. They show students exactly how their work will be assessed and graded. This reduces confusion and promotes "expectation management."

Tipton,

I really like the term you used "expectation management". Rubrics work for both students and educators that way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Grading rubrics are a guide to the faculty person as to what constitutes good - poor work. The rubtic should be created prior to the class based on desired outcomes; and should be shared with the students so they understand the expectations of the grader.

Alan,

True, and it sets the expectation for the student. It should be given at the point of assignment. Nice Post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics help ensure that students are aware of the expectations for their assignments. In fact, I often encourage students to use rubrics like a checklist for their work.

I've found that students sometimes interpret assignment instructions differently than they are intended. This could be for a variety of reasons, and sometimes it's simply because they misread a sentence or two. When students have a grading rubric in addition to the assignment instructions, they can crosscheck their understanding of the assignment with the criteria used in grading. This helps eliminate possible misunderstandings.

And, of course, rubrics help ensure that teachers are consistently applying the same expectations to all students.

Jennifer,

You make great points. You do clear up misunderstandings with rubrics. Great insight.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

the part I like best about grading rubrics is that it provides a visual to the student to show them exactly how their grade was calculated. It takes some of the subjectivity out of the process

It takes the "mystery" out of how the student is treated among the other students.

Hi Christina,

I really like your response to Jean's question. I think both the instuctor and student need to know what the expectations are from the beginning. Students need to know what is expected of them from an assignment and instructors need to grade with objectivity. Ultimately, both parties want to learn and grow and succesfully achieve the stated outcomes and if the objectives are not being achieved, it brings to light some issues that need to be addressed.

Mark,

I agree with you. Students do know exactly what you expect.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Douglas,

You make a great point. Students know that ALL students are going to be graded in the same way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Grading rubrics provide clear expectations of assignments for both student and instructor. The student is aware of the requirements of the assignment, and the instructor consistently grades all student's assignments based on the criteria in the rubric.

Beth,

You are right. Everyone is on the same page!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment