Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online Learning Environment

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

I would say that the most important things to consider in the online environment and assessment are first, make sure that you are assessing on what is being taught. I have noticed that often the assessment doesn't match the curriculum and have been able to help change a few courses so that it lines up and matches what is being learned.

Next, I would say that you need to make sure that the students have the information needed to be successful and that the instructions are clear on the assessment so that they won't get mixed up with the technology or textbooks, etc.

Finally, I would say that the instructor and facilitator needs to be there along the way and assess throughout a course so they will know where a student is and so they can know how to help them.

Ashley,

YOU ARE RIGHT! it is simple and as difficult as to making sure you are assessing what is being taught! :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have personally found that giving directions both in writing (in the assignment) and orally (in a live or archived chat) is very helpful, because some students have difficulty interpreting directions when they are only offered one way. I also think that students who ask questions during live chats, or email me questions after viewing the archived chat, do much better in the course overall.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Professor Christen Embry
AIU Online

I agree- I reiterate the directions orally to and add my expectations as well as various other resources to turn to. I also give a sample in week 1 so the students have something to "live up to' with assignments.

Jennifer,

I like your term "live up to" I think it is important to provide those examples particularly in an online course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Christen,

I agree. Most experts will tell you to put directions (assignments and other items) in 2 to 3 places in an online environment so you are practicing best practice. Engagement is the key to online success.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree! The instructor has to give careful consideration to the learning objectives and what the students have been taught. Several teachers adhere to the "try this" mentality with no support or foundation given to their students.

Michael,

Yes! I find that one of the weaknesses of using technology is that we don't have much research that will back it up.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Generally, I have found that LIVE CLASSES (often called CHATS, though I think CLASSES is more appropriate) is an excellent way to communicate with students online, and to enhance the conveyance of expectations in all things, including online assessment tools.

The key to a good assessment tool is CLEAR language - the ability to construct an assessment tool that leaves virtually zero room for ambiguity.

Constantinos,

That is true. It is en effective way to address questions that students may have. The problem is getting everyone involved in those chats.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment