Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different Assessment Tools

I think that there should be many different assessment tools in a classroom. For example, students need to write papers (even though they don't want to)to give them experience in written communications in the business world. Also, multiple choice quizzes on the course content give instant feedback to the student since they can be arranged to be computer graded. The discussion board allows students to communicate in a written form and respond to others. This is important practice for the student to learn how to communicate to others in a more formal way than just e-mail. Lastly, at least one assignment needs to require a Power Point presentation to give the student experience in creating Power Point presentations in case they need to have one for a business meeting. With a mixture of each type of assessment, the student gets a more hands on approach to learning and communication delivery which is valuable to their future in business.

Jean,

Great post. I like that you are discussing a great variety of assessment that can incorporate real world application.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

These are different technological assessments which provide the student the opportunity to show various forms of learnig n and accomplishment.

The test is one feedback vehicle which indicates what has been learned.

The papers and discussion board will show interaction and the ability to use the knowledge and communicate the knowledge.

The Power Point is another technology tool which will provide an example of using their acquired knowledge in real world applications.

Alan,

Good points, how do you use Powerpoint as an assessment tool?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Papers are a great idea, but a great deal of my students are extremely intimidated by them. I have to do a lot of "hand holding" at times to get them through the process and it does take up a lot of time, especially when the course is action packed with content and strict deadlines. How do you get through these instances?

Mrs. Mitchell

I know of schools that use multiple choice only, essay or written papers only, and a mix of methods, including Power-Point presentations.

Based on this I have concluded that there is no one best method, as it does depend on the course, and what part the course plays in the curriculum and the program.

Personally I think that a mix as Jean mentions is probably best, as individual students are probably anxious, scared, frightened, and may have personal strengths in one method or another.

Letrice,

Do you use peer review of papers. You can do that using a variety of tools provided online.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Theran,

As I have answered discussions I too have learned that some schools have specific requirements for assessment. This can be a challenge.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment