Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Objective Assessments

I really like the use of objective assessments. It simplifies the information for the students. I teach a lot of medical terminology courses and this helps student with the thousands of terms that they have to learn on a monthly basis.

Letrice Mitchell

Letrice,

True and that knowledge does lend itself to that type of assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree. I also believe this knowledge lends itself to that kind of assessment.

I find this to be true in our type of course also, it also gives them some reference material to go back and look at.

Dara,

It really depends on what you are trying to measure. Not everything is meant to be at the top of Bloom's Taxonomy.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cally,

If you allow students to review their exam and give them feedback, it is a great way to do that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Letrice,

Yes, your example shows that some subjects are best evaluated thorough objectve assessment and with a subject like medical terminology, the future employer simply wants our studnet to be able pronounce the word(s), spell the word(s) and use them in a sentence.

I will say that when I was learning medical terminology and anatomy, my instructor required her students to sit knee to knee with her and actually pronounce the words. Unfortunately, as online instructors, we are limited in the ability to help our students in this way.

To counter this, I frequently suggest that they student listed ot the Language of Medicine CD that usually accompnies their text and then ask them to have friends or families listed as they prounce each word to make sure that they are correct.

Joe Skeens

Joseph,

What a great idea. Sometimes we get caught up with the thought we have to have high end Bloom's words when the objectives of the course and the purpose of the course doesn't require it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment