Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Idea

I will be using more reubrics now that I know what it does.

Vanessa,

How do you see yourself using them?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I will be utilizing rubrics as a component of my grading practices.

Julie,

How and why do you think you will use a rubric in your grading? What do you see as your greatest challenges?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Vanessa,

Rubrics seem to be a great tool, that can help not only the student, but the instructor as well in evaluating the students work.

David,

Right on! Student and instructor - and everyone will then be on the same page. This can help eliminate the questions like "Why did I lose points?" or "Why are we doing this?" Thanks!

I would agree Vanessa. Grading rubrics can be a great way to provide feedback to students and create a win-win for all!

Laurie

Laurie,

I agree too! Thanks! Who doesn't like win-win situations? ;-)

At times I have uesed Rubrics but after this section I will start to use them more and more. The key for me is the process and the product. One has to remember that if the student does not understand the proces then he or she will never understand the product and the to me is the most important part of learning!

Dr. James ,

Excellent. Thanks for trying them more indepth in your courses. I think you will see the benefits.

I will be using more rubrics.
A rubric is a great tool and helps students know the expectations. The students can prepare their assignments/ task based on the expectations. I also understand that there are different types of rubrics. An effective rubric can help in fair and proper grading thus enhancing students’ learning.

Sitara

Nagalakshmi ,

Glad you learned a bit more about rubrics in this lesson. Your last statement about fair/proper grading leads directly to the students' learning. Nice job.

I think I will become more involved in the development of the rubrics.

Roshawna,

It will be to your benefit to become involved in the process of rubric development to ensure your rubrics are measuring what you need them to measure. Keep up the good work.

My take away from this module is to encourage use of the rubric in self and peer evaluation. In particular I like the learning that happens when you objectively assess another students work (as the instructor would); the clarity that assessing another students work can bring to your own efforts and the opportunity to learn new skills such as constructive feedback. In my view some folks have not learned enough or matured enough in their communication styles to provide clear, objective feedback. You hope to receive more from feedback than...yes, I asked for a rock; you brought me a rock; but that isn't the rock I was expecting...can you bring me another rock? This solidifies in my mind the need for clear performance criteria; that clarity is critical in the classroom and the boardroom.

Lynn ,

Glad you are taking away some important things from this module. I have found it useful to use rubrics as self- and peer-evaluations for students. Love your use of a "rock" as a way to explain evaluation through the use of a rubric. Thanks!

I agree. I've been a student so many times myself that I noticed the improvement when I had a rubric to work with. So it makes sense to include one in my own courses.

Pat,

Your experience as a students helps you excel at being a great teacher. Keep it up and continue to share your experiences.

Thanks!

I like the way you can guide the student through the use of rubrics. It is almost as much a check of you as it is the student.

I throughout my doctorate used rubrics to guide and organize my work.

Thank you,
Robin Jonas

Robin ,

The word "guide" has come up many times. We are, if nothing else, being consistent. Thank you.

Sign In to comment