Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Summative Assessments

Summative assessments allow students a chance to see how well they learned the material at the end of a lesson, course, etc. This can be sort of a wake-up call for students if they are not doing well. It can provide a look into areas where improvement is needed.
It is important to ensure the material is thoroughly covered to give students a fair chance at performing well. It is also important to provide students with feedback.

Jorell,

Great post, yes is should be a wake up call for both the student and the instructor.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with your comments Jorell! I do think that ongoing feedback is a reality check that students need to stay focused on their goals.
Ms. Cressman

Tina,

I think we have to keep them engaged with the feedback. It is more than just giving a grade, it is giving them criticism and have them act on it,

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

A summative Assessment would reflect the progress that was to be gleaned from the Formative Assessment; if the FA is given in strategic intervals the the SA should show a more polished product.

Don,

Great point. Yes, one tool should support the other. They are not mutually exclusive!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment