Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Course Revision Assessment

Wouldn't it be valuable to both students and teachers alike if students were handed Pre-course assessments asking them what they want to learn from the course?

Objective Evaluations Vs. Subjective Evaluations

Which one do you think is better for assessing students knowledge of the course material?

Any good technology assessment tools for specialized science/math

I feel most of the assessment tools discussed here are oriented more towards general studies or introductory science or math courses. What about the tools for more advanced / specialized courses? It seems that we still have to do the assessment mostly manually.

Authentic Assessments

Yes, I have used Authentic Assessments. I find them refreshing and they make the connection with real-live experiences. This makes the course relevant and it carries learning beyond the classroom. I also find that the authenticity allows what is learned to be remembered longer. I believe this is because it has a basis in reality and not hypothesis, theories, or abstraction.

Course Evaluations

I find using evaluations that are objective provide an opportunity to teach while you are testing. What I mean by this is the answer to the question is somewhere within the test. So, students are given an opportunity to perform critical thinking to dismiss the incorrect answers and recall the correct answer while taking the test. This is tantamount to "teaching while testing".

Summative Versus Formative

The words "summative" versus "formative" is self-explantory. But, the words "assessment" versus "evaluation" are used interchangeably in many cases, so distinguishing between the two is difficult for most educators. Would you agree?

Can Technology be frightening to the older student?

I have taught using technology to both young and old. I found to my surprise that the older students (i.e. senior citizens; greater than 65 years old) are more interested in learning technology to participate than students in their thirties. Has anyone found this same phenomenom?

Involving Students in Rubric Development

When do you believe you could involve students in creating rubrics?

Evaluating Rubrics

Why should you evaluate the rubrics you use?

Resources for Developing Rubrics

What are some online resources you may use to develop rubrics?

Parts of a Rubric

What are the basic parts of a rubric?

Evaluating Using Rubrics

What is the difference in evaluating a performance, process or product?

Mistakes in Making Rubrics

What are some common mistakes online instructors may make when creating rubrics?

Advantages of Rubrics

What are the advantages of using analytic rubrics?

Using Rubrics

As an online instructor, why is it important to use rubrics?

Alternative and Authentic Assessment

Authentic assessments include portfolios, performance, and observations. How have you used authentic assessment in your online course?

Using Objective and/or Subjective Evaluations

Objective evaluations include true/false, multiple choice, and matching questions. Subjective evaluations include open-ended questions, essays, etc. How have you used evaluations in your course?

Summative Assessments

When conducting summative assessments, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider?

Technology Assessment Tools

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?

Technology Assessment Tools

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider?