Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stressed Out

Rubrics comes in handy if you have a list of things you need the student to do for one project.

Vanessa,

Do you see these "things" as the criteria for the project?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I definitly see "things" as a list of criteria. Rubrics allow you to think clearly about what that criteria should be.

Tanya,

Would you also take the time to develop definitions or clear expectations of the "things" that you want your students to do?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tanya,
I agree, the rubrics in a skilled based assignment allows you to focus the criteria specific to the skill you are searching. My biggest concern is that you must be careful not to overload the assignment with so many parts that both the submission process and the grading process is overwhelmed with Criteria.

Berrie,

Right. If there are too many components in one rubric, you may need to break it down into separate project components. Thanks.

Rubrics, once created (which is the labor intensive part) provide an excellent guide for the students and the instructor. For the students it identifies some of the important components of the assignment. For the instructor it provides objective critera for evaluation.

Eleanor,

It's worth the time you put into the rubrics. They assist both students and instructors in the assessment process.

I find rubrics are an effective tool to assist the student and the instructor because it list those "things" that are expected from the student in a particular assignment. These things are describe in a clear way so the student can actually see what I am looking for-or expecting to see- in a finished assignment.

Ava,

Rubrics are helpful for students and through the good criteria should help students more clearly understand the expectations. They are also beneficial for instructors in the assessment process. Thanks.

It simplifies the process

Kevin,

That is does. Thanks for continuing to add to the conversation in these forums.

Sign In to comment