Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Validity & Reliability

I found it interesting looking at the concepts of Validity and Reliability. You can complete research that is Reliable without being Valid, but you cannot have Validity without the research being Reliable. As Dr Roberta Heale shared in her article, (Validity and Reliability in quantitative studies, Evidence Based Nursing July 2015| volume 18| number 3) An effective example of validity and reliability is an alarm clock that rings at 7:00am each morning, but is set for 6:30am. It is very reliable (it consistently rings the same time each day), but is not valid… >>>

Technology Tools

Using a variety of technology tools would be best in order to accommodate a variety of learners.

Computer tools

It has been my experience that numberous tools are always being changed, altered or modified in the computer class. These come and go but knowing the subject matter and staying up to date is the key in being able to instruct students in the field of nursing and medical needs of patients. 

EL 106

Great module! Provides insight on best approaches to student assessment. 

The best rubric

what is the best kind of rubric to use when checking a paragraph, Holistic or  Generic?

Rubric as a tool

It is  difficult to check an essay or a paragraph without a rubric; in the rubric you can post what you want  the students to have in their works ;if you want them to write 10 compound sentences it is what you are going to grade and value, the rubric is a guide and reflects the weaknesses and strengths of a finished product.  

Editable Rubrics

What is the best website that has editable rubrics? 

Evolution of a Rubric

The college I currently teach at has rubrics established by an outside body.  The problem that I've had is aligning the assignment criteria with the rubric.  For example, the assignment guidelines (also established by an outside body) will state that outside resources are strongly recommended but not required.  The rubric requires outside resources to obtain the full credit for supporting details.  It can be very confusing to students. 

very detailed and positive review of assessment

Great content for all educators

Technology Keeping Up

I remember when I was a elementary school teacher and a computer was placed in my room. It was a new toy and I had to learn how to utilize it along with classroom instruciton. Now if you are not able to keep up with technology, it is very diffcult to remain in the classroom. Working at Brookline has made me use technology more than my normal comfort zone but it has made me a much better instructor.

Online assessment tools

I will have to admit, online assessment tools have become plentiful and varied.  I have been out of the classroom for three years now and seem to have fallen behind in the latest technology.  I have used Rubistar, SurveyMonkey, ExamView, and Moodle.  There are so many more options I would have love to have when I was teaching.  Socrative looks very appealing.  Has anyone used it?

Assessing online learning

I hope to start using the skills I learned from this course immediatly. I hope that my students can gain from my new found skills of online assessment.

Assessing Online Learning

I am learning quite a bit from these Max Knowledge courses. I never knew there were so many objectives.

How do others handle a student who does not look at their online course content?

I find that when I am assessing a students learning when they are in an onlien course, i must veiw their activity with the material to truly believe whther the student just did not study the material or if they really did not understand it.

Access to final quiz

Rubric Disadvantages

What are some disadvantages to the development and use of rubrics?

Webquest

Going to look into this some more.

Diagonistic assesments

I often find that these tests are great measures of what needs to be emphasised as we move through the course, as they point out student weaknesses

Using rubrics

There was a lot of useful information, but the questions were tricky. Will go through the material again to learn more. It was one of the most difficult material to grasp for online classes.