Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment of Use of Media Sites

As an online instructor, how would you assess students' use of media hosting and sharing sites?

I like the digital portfolio. The student shows that he/she can find relevant material and share it with others in the class. The method provides depth and breadth that goes beyond traditional assessment methods.

I like the concept of the digital portfolio as it allows instructors and other students to review and assess the overall knowledge of a topic as well as writing skills. Another way to assess the students' use is to create a discussion board and ask them questions regarding the use of the sites and how it contributed to their expertise on the subject.

Robin, I agree that the use of digital portfolios can help assess a student's level of knowledge and the benefits they have gained from the media site. Through examining and studying the contributions to the site by a student, an instructor can both evaluate the student's knowledge and the value of the media site for a given subject area.

I would use the digital portfolio. It seems that it would be a very effective way to determine the student's level of creativity and use of technology.

I like the idea of using a digital portfolio. I allows the student to be creative, and to personalize their own style of communicating what they have learned.

I whole heartedly agree with the digital portfolio concept. Students have an opportunity to make what they are learning more personal and memorable.

Thoughs assessments mention do provide an excellent way to asses the students. Lets keep in mind the objective of the course to provide the student with the understanding of the material presented. Media sites are just tools to obtain this goal.

I agree. I like the idea of a digital portfolio that allows the student to use their strengths to show what they know. Discussion boards are a great way to see what students know. I also find that students learn a lot from each other so discussion are very important.

I think the use of a digital portfolio is a great idea as others could also review it. I want the student to be as creative as possible and I think using the digital portfolio can really help achieve this.

We could also visit the some of the sites students were using and asses them in the field of play.

I would like to use a combination of the methods used such as the digital portfolio, paper and quizzes. Everyone learns differently and some students may excel in one area and need help in another. This helps the instructor see where the student needs help and keeps the playing field a little more fair.

Assessments of media hosting and sharing sites can be done by either providing a basic multiple choice test, or more elaborately by designing a portfolio assignment that allows students to showcase both their knowledge and their talents.

I have worked with digital portfolios and they are very effective. A well-designed portfolio can encompass some pretty detailed assignments. For example, my daughter who attends a virtual junior high has portfolio assessments in all of her courses. She recently completed a science lab experiment that she documented in her portfolio. In math she completes her work and then saves it as a word doc., scans it and submits it to a portfolio link. This allows her teacher to assess how she is doing in her classwork.

You make a very good point! My daughter attends a virtual junior high that uses digital portfolios and this has allowed my child to showcase her talents and creativity!

Digital portfolios and essays to convey their understanding of the material.

Robin ,

It is such a powerful tool. We want the students to be able to find the information what better way to demonstrate it! Good post!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

OK, I am "borrowing" your idea. What a great way to be able to articulate the strategies used in the digital portfolio. LOVE IT.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

Great post, and I would add your idea on the other post about using discussion board to discuss the portfolio.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Shenita,

That is great, how would you use them? Any strategies?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Amy,

Then add the discussion so they can discuss the strategies they used to create their portfolio. That is a great assignment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment