Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Securing Effective Communication on Social Network & VirtualSites

I conducted my doctoral research on cyber aggressive behaviors against institutional and counseling policies and procedures. I have to tell you I am very concerned on several levels using social networking and virtual worlds as locations for effective instruction.

First of all, there are security issues and breaches in privacy. Although I did not find a FERPA ruling, I feel it will be a matter of time before FERPA steps in and addresses this issue.

Secondly research has shown there is a disconnect between fantasy and reality between the ages of 13 to 27 unless they are in a grounded human relationship. Therefore, if a negative action occurs in the virtual world, they respond as if it occurred face-to-face. Therefore, communication and how issues are approached are imperative.

Last but not least, I found that cyberbullying were reported more and occurred in their on-line courses. Yet the administration viewed it as less harmful and the disciplinary action was minor because it did not pose an immediate threat.

Therefore as an instructor, I am concerned on how students react to what is posted because everyone's perception is very different from ours.

Gretchen,

Interesting information. It is good to watch for security breaches and set policies against such issues. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment