Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Educational Media Hosting and Sharing Sites

What are a few examples of media hosting and sharing sites geared more toward education?

A few examples are sites such as Khan Academy and the ones mentioned in this course such as: YouTube Edu, TeacherTube, SchoolTube and iTunesU.

Miriam,

It is interesting that Google and Blackboard are in a partnership now. They have incorporated Youtube as a way to share student work. It is a very interesting match. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Some examples of hosting and sharing sites geared more towards education: ICD-10 Forum, American Academy of Professional Coder website and American Institiute of Healthcare Complainace, Inc forum are all for a specific type, but are still hosting and sharing sites

Gwendolyn,

Yes, and a great way to educate students the important of sharing information

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I teach art history, and there is a great deal of free resources offered by SmartHistory... which was recently acquired by the Khan Academy. Their videos are hosted both on their site and on YouTube.

Valerie,

Ooooh. . . . Khan Academy is an interesting resource. I am just now looking at it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

School tube and teacher tube seem to be geared more towards K-12. Are there some sites that are specifically for higher education?

denise,

I have used straight Youtube and found them very helpful. Must higher ed can be found there. I have looked at iTunes U for some content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Media hosting and sharing websites are now a day’s very popular because it providing the best solution to access data from anywhere without any hesitation.

It works through the internet, and that’s why it’s easily accessible around the globe without hesitation. For example you are doing some work in your university or somewhere else on a computer. So now you want to save your data and you don’t have a USB device so you can log in any media hosting website and upload your data there, and whenever you need data you can get it there.

Many websites are providing such kind of services few websites are as following:

File Lodge at http://www.filelodge.com
Mega Share at http://www.megashares.com
Uploading at http://www.uploading.com
Rapid Share at http://www.rapidshare.com
Dropbox at http://www.dropbox.com

Many universities now a day have their own portal services, in university where they upload data relating to their lectures and student gets that lecture from online portal. Now every university has its own portal, where teachers are uploaded relevant data and announcements which are helpful for students. On the other hand many universities are not providing such services as well, then teacher prefer to access the free uploading sharing websites and uploaded their educational data on the sharing sites and gave the link to the students.

Not only are teachers using upload sites but student are now using it to share data with other students. So in the end we can say that such media hosting and sharing sites technology improve the Education quality and geared towards education.

Darcel,

Thank you for sharing your different sites. This is why we all benefit from social media!!!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

You Tube, TED and Google Video are popular media sharing sites. Hosting sites which are intended for educational use include TeacherTube, SchoolTube, iTunesU, and YouTube Edu. I have explored iTunesU and found it interesting although most content appears geared toward k-12, post secondary and undergraduate learning. I am attempting to explore more graduate level business course content. I have never used any of the other hosting or media sharing sites and would welcome some suggestions.

Sharon,

TED is great. I would also look at podcasts that are free through iTunes. I have used Grammar Girl extensively. Also have students create their own content and figure out how do to that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Although it isn't explicitly a hosting/sharing site, Evernote is a fantastic tool for facilitating learning and collaboration (Evernote.com)

Evernote is a piece of software available for Mac/Win/iOS/Android/Blackberry

We used it in one of my classes on sustainable business last semester. The students just captured (using phones, computer, dictation) pictures, thoughts, ideas, webpages, videos, documents (using Evernote) related to a targeted assignment each week (e.g., find examples of sustainable business practices in your community). At the end of the week, we complied all student submissions into one Evernote "Note" and shared with all students. It made it really easy to collect a lot of information, discuss, and save comments on it during class.

Steve,

I will now look at Evernote. Thank you for sharing the tool. See this social media tool works for me! :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As an instructor of economics and finance, I like to guide my students to "LearnLiberty.org". It has great videos with topics about the basic ideas of economics, such as "opportunity cost". In my class on Personal Finance, I send students to a great resource "Kiplinger.com". It has videos and tutorials and applications regarding personal finances. I particular like to show the students this website's video called "The Basics of Budgeting".

I hope you check out these websites!
Patrice Nybro

Patrice,

Thanks for sharing these sites. I will also use them. I have students to find videos that explain concepts but they don't always know how to evaluate the sties and there are some have been very politically slanted and they didn't see it. I have to work through that with them!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I also have used straight Youtube as a resource. If used correctly this is a huge benefit with the students, because they are already familiar with the backdrop of the site.

The few that I have just learned about include ITunes University, YouTube.Edu, and TeacherTube.

- Doc Wibbeke

Casey,

Aren't they great? I have found there is a Youtube clip for everything.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment