Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Content Development

As an online instructor, which do you believe is more important - student content development or instructor content development - when incorporating microblogging into your course?

I believe content development on both sides is critical. The instructor and both the student need to find a balance.

I think student content development is most important. Once the instructor provides lectures and reading material, including sites and blogs to visit for content and course principles, microblogging presents an opportunity for instructors to ask questions and start a discourse on a given topic, allowing students to share knowledge, perceptions, opinions and ask each other questions. Instructors can stimulate the discourse with additional questions and hashtags to more information, but the microblog represents an opportunity to track student learning and comprehension.

I would like to see the instructor define the guidelines of the class suggesting content with the students building the content. The end result can be substantially beneficial for all parties.

Tonya,

There is great truth to your answer. instructor as to set expectations for the student and the student has to perform the blog based on the criteria.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

Great point. It can be a type of formative assessment. Nice!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Doni,

You are correct! Students have to know the expectations of the assignment. It could get messy without them. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think student content development is more important. Most online courses rely in a cognitivist/constructivist learning theory, where students are responsible for engaging in their own learning and designing their learning program. As the instructor, I am more of a guide on the side, directing them to other materials and coaching them on improving their learning techniques and expanding their knowledge base. I would like to provide students with the forums they need to reach out into microblogging, but ultimately I would prefer they use it as a channel to work together, with me guiding them as necessary.

Rebecca,

I agree with you and I actually call myself a tour guide for a course. You make a great point about using the microblogging as a collaborative tool. I like your suggestion for this tool.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe it should be two fold. Instructor content development is important to provide structure to the discussion, ensure that learning objectives/concepts/theories are being achieved and to drive the student to critically think and therefor enabling the student to development content. I deal with many adult learners who have rich professional experience and a great deal of insight into their own industries consequently I feel it is important for the student to development content too. In this way they feel engaged, demonstrate understanding and share pertinent information as it relates to their experience.

Sharon,

I agree with you. You have to be able to "pull" that rich experience out of those students. This will build confidence in those adult learners and make them feel the value they really are!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I thought about this for a while and I agree that having a student-centered content development might be the best.

Microblogging is a great way to assess how much students learn from the lecture or course.

Teachers can tweet several questions during a week for feedback.

Matt

Kelly,

I would say that content development by both students and instructors are equally important. For students, they get the sense of empowerment in that they feel that their voice will be heard. For instructors, they can impart wisdom on the particular topic. Both students and instructors bring something to the table, and with equal microblogging access, the results can be varied and valuable.

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

I believe the instructor should set the expectations for microblogging and could even demonstrate what is expected by initiating the first microblog. I then see this as an opportunity for students to become more involved and engaged, collaborating with one another. What a rich learning environment that could provide as they share experiences and perspectives!

Patricia,

It should be student centered but that also means student responsible. It has to be about the learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Mathias,

I like that use. Have you used Remind101.com? It does help you send blanket texts to a group of students.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Eileen,

You are right; it does give students a sense of ownership of their learning while instructors become more of a facilitator.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Jennifer ,

I think you have the secret to a successful use of the microblogging. Expectations must be set and the instructor sets the tone by providing an example.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that both student and instructor content development play an important role when microblogging is utilized. I think that microblogging is analgous to a class room. The instructor needs to develops the "rules", set expectations, manage and control "blog-room". The student-content expectations should be those that require the higher levels of thinking and the synthesis of succinct, efficient and pertinent responses.

Sign In to comment