Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reassuring Students that What They Have to Say Is Important

Many students who do not post on time feel that their participation on the board really does not matter to overall discussions. What matters is they eventually post and receive credit.

At some schools, I am capable of enforcing a no-tolerance rule where late posts are not accepted despite circumstances. However, in all fairness, at these schools posts are worth as little as 10 points as opposed to 50, 60 and 120.

But nevertheless, when students do not post, I find it helpful to remind them that we were not able to hear their voice concerning the discussion, that what they have to say is important and merits being heard (or read). I will often ask while on the phone with them what they think about a topic and why. By reassuring them that what they have to say is important, I notice most make greater efforts to post on time.

However, not all students respond to this approach. Please share how you encourage students to participate. It may help me to win over those who do not post.

Samantha,

I use a rubric to assess the posts and it is a part of their participation grade. That has helped me. Thanks.

Samantha,
My students are not allowed to submit late discussions. If they do, they will not received a grade. I will use your helpful hint of reminding those who do not participate, that they are missed when they don't participate. This just may be the key to having 100% participation.

Thank you,
Vivian Washington

This is how I approach a non-participating student. Appeal to their sense of pride.

I presume students are motivated to do well. So, if they took the first step by signing up for the course a little reminder of the value of pride and self respect can go a long way.

Alexander,

Appealing to pride is a good approach. Thanks for adding t the conversation.

Vivian ,

I do not accept late work. I cannot turn things in late at my job nor should the students.

When faced with the possibility of failing, some students dig in their heels and make a remarkable recovery.

Alexander,

It takes some students longer to see the reason for learning what they are learning. We have to make this clear up front and connect the learning to the course outcomes. Thanks!

Hi, Samantha, :-)

You mentioned that some students do not respond to your "message" that what they post is important. Of course, not all students will respond to even our most heartfelt appeals. However, knowing that adults are largely their experiences, I try in all aspects of my classes to let students know that their past experiences, including prior knowledge, are needed in our class. For example, I make use of students' past experiences in our live session chats, and I make sure that students know how much their experiences enhance the learning in our chats. My appreciation and utilization of the students' past experiences seem to "spill over" into other aspects of the class, including the discussion boards. I try there, too, to let students know that there is no substitute for their own experiences. I let students know that we need their experiences on the boards.

April

April and Samantha,

I always tell students they need to add to the conversation on the discussion board. They can't just say "good job" or "I agree" and expect to get full credit for their posting. I show them appropriate and inappropriate postings. That seems to help.

Our instructors pay close attention to student introductions. When students are reluctant to participate in discussions or post they usually pull something from their introduction, whether its tied to their hobby, job experience etc and it usually pulls that student out of his/her shell.

Ed,

Ah - what a good idea. The introductions can help you later as you assist students or prompt students to participate in class. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

I do three things to encourage participation:
1) Make each post a hefty part of their grade, so that the students learn quickly that participation is very important to me and to their performance in the class;
2) Let them skip one set of posts once per semester to avoid discussion post burn-out; and
3) Post a "greatest hits" compilation of discussion posts, called a "Discussion Digest," to the home page. I attribute great quotes to the student who wrote them. Students really love seeing their work "published" on the home page of the course!

Despite all this work, it seems like from the get-go, students either are very involved in discussions, or are very disengaged. Maybe it goes back to learning styles, but I find it very difficult to entice a student to post if he or she appears to be a "watcher."

Erin,

You provide good advice. I like the greatest hits idea and providing students with such positive feedback. Thanks.

Sign In to comment