Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics

Others have already pointed this out, the use of rubrics is most useful with respect to grading. Students can see the minimum criteria, and many choose to meet only the bare minimum and I will point out the need to participate more in the class, and some choose to meet the minimum requirements and earn a “C” for the class.

Marshall,

The rubric may then be viewed as a motivator for more participation. Good way to think about it. Thanks!

Hi Marshall,

In my discussion that I've set up, students can get a "C" on their discussion by simply answering the questions. To get a better grade, they have to interact and respond to each other.

I find that a number of students are happy to get their "C" just in order to avoid having to discuss the topics; I remind them of the issue, but it is up to them to decide what they want. The only thing is that their discussion counts for 40% of the course grade, so getting that C can really drag them down, especially if they miss an essay or another assignment.

Do you think that students choose to receive the "C" because they are busy? Don't care? Don't enjoy the online activities? Is there any way we can convince them of the value of using that discussion to build an online community?

Thanks,
Kate

Katherine and Marshall,

Interesting concept. Maybe not saying, just answering gets you a C, but use a rubric to show them how to get an A. Just a thought.

Hello Marshall: In all of our classes we have a few over achievers and a few students who just want to pass the class. The rubric gives the student a better opportunity to meet the expectations that they have set for themselves in your class. Of course, I want all my students to strive for an A; but some students in an online environment may have other priorities and prefer just to pass the class.

Belinda and Marshall,

This seems to be true no matter what the environment (F2F, Blended or Online), but we need to keep striving to show the importance of learning the material or what will be the negative it they do not learn the material and keep motivating students to learn. Thanks for your continued input in these forums.

Belinda makes a great point. Not all students strive for an A, although there are still a few that do!
I find rubrics essential for time management and for consistency in grading.

Sue,

Right on. The conssitency is important and rubrics help both the students and the instructors. Thanks!

Sign In to comment