Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Media Site Facilitation and Use

As an online instructor, how would you effectively facilitate the use of media hosting and sharing sites?

First, I would have to assess what areas of the course competencies may be facilitated and then I would search the media sites for material, which may already be available in reference to these areas. an evaluation of the quality of this material would be required, prior to using it. If needed, I could choose to develop material and post them to the media hosting site.

Miriam,

These are great techniques. You as the instructor must demonstrate the evaluation first. You set the standard.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The instructor should serve as the model. I am just now getting into the use of media hosting and sharing in my classrooms, so I am certainly not an expert. However, it seems that the first media pieces shared in a classroom should address how to do it so that students have a guide to follow.

That would be a classic, "Here is how you do it, now you try" situation.

Rebecca,

I agree with you. If you are demonstrating it, you will need explain to students what you are doing and show them the appropriate way to use it. The best learning experience is by example.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like to plan. Creating a checklist prior to facilitating the use of media hosting and sharing sites is an option I would consider. I would start off by going over my objectives. I would also create an agenda as I do for my face-to-face classes.

DIANA ,

True, from one planner to another. . . I think a checklist is perfect way to start media evaluation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Greetings,

In classes where I have used social networking sites, I establish clear learning objectives and provide a rubric. I also provide a link to a sample within the sharing site.

For instance, I teach an online public speaking course. We utilize YouTube (with privacy settings) turned on for their speeches. Students share the private link with each other so that they can get the peer reviews. For a later assignment, students also have to try using Prezi as an option to existing PowerPoint formats. Again - they are able to set the privacy so only those given the direct link can view.

This alleviates much of the fear that students have in creating online shared content. I also provide directions for how to "delete" their content once the class is completed.

Because of some cultural norms regarding videotaping, I have had to provide a few international students with the option of audio-only presentations. In these cases, we focus on a "voiceover" presentation utilizing a screencast tool.

In other situations (someone with a restraining order or in a protection program), where they can't create an online identity, we've used private file sharing sites like a DropBox or Google Docs for the recorded file to be uploaded.

In order to protect the privacy of some of your students (especially in stalking cases, etc.), instructors need to be able to facilitate alternative social networking site options too. (I find less that 1% of all my students have these real restrictions on online sharing).

The key is to list these expectations and alternatives early.

Best wishes,

Rick

Richard,

What a great post! You have really done some "homework" in using these media sites. I use a product called Tegrity that is a lecture capture software that can be utilized by students and it is password protected. You also make a great point about cultural differences regarding videos. Do you encourage students to use the phones for recording?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I've heard alot about Tegrity, but personally haven't used it. I'll have to do a dry run sometime.

Some of my students have used their phones in the past for recording. I encourage them to use WebCams for a more professional recording (just cause mobile recordings get shaky unless they have a good holder).

I've had students even edit their videos to embed slides and other graphics. It's amazing to see what students are able to teach the teachers... :)

Rick

Richard,

I think we need have the students determine technology to use and have them figure out how to best create and deliver a product. Critical thinking at its best!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To facilitate the use of media hosting and sharing sites, I review the course content and look for relevant sites and material online that would deepen the learning. I then request the students to review the content,compile portfolio and participate in the discussion board to share their experiences

This is such a good question. I think that developing a plan that you share with your students is important. Being familiar with the protocol and establishing a system is important for facilitating the steps.

Kim

Austin,

That is a great idea. You lead them through one first! Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kimberly,

You are so right! It is so important to developing a plan completely and hold students to the expectation. This is not a "fly by my seat of my pants" assignment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I truly feel in order to accurately and effectively facilitate the use of sharing sites and media hosting I need to set very clear guidelines and ground rules. There needs to be a clear, concise rubric available that ideally the student reviews before participating in these sites or activities involving these sites.

Many students have certain fears when it comes to anything personal especially being videotaped. I have found that some students feel really comfortable utilizing technology that records voice but not a person. Screencasting has been a great way for me to conserve the student’s privacy and have them still participate in an extremely interactive, creative manner.

I also feel that instructors need to have a firm understanding of the technology they are utilizing. This will help prevent any negative experiences the student may encounter. Most sharing sites do have privacy settings that should be utilized so the information is not available to the general public. The content can only be shared to those that have the link to the information presented.

Michelle,

I agree with you. You need to set expectations and guidelines. Using these tools are for assessing knowledge, not just for the sake of technology. good post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi,
I would require my students to develop content to be hosted and shared with others; by doing this, I provide an opportunity to help my students broaden their abilities outside the classroom and the use of technology is very important now a days.

Hello,

I have not quite implemented the use of much social media thus far in my courses. I would research as to the media hosting and sharing sites recommended and utilized by the universities along with giving a poll to students to see which sites they are using.

- Doc Wibbeke

I think leveraging external media sites such as YouTube and others are great ways to help provide examples and applications of the theory and concept of the class.

Matt

Sign In to comment