Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Gap or Lowering the Bar?

Sometimes I wonder if we use the excuse of the generation gap and how the younger generations respond as a way to lower the educational standards. The ability to speak and write in a professional manner is imperative. Credibility can come into question if the student in their professional career cannot compose a solid sentence or express a thought without using street language.

Do you believe the generation gap theory has resulted in lowering our educational standards?

Hi Gretchen,
I had not thought of this as a generational issue, but I worry about this as well. I think we do a disservice to our students if we do not correct their written communication. In business and life it is necessary to make oneself understood.
In week 1 I let my students know that all DB posts must be proofread for spelling and grammatical errors. I also let them know that texting language it not an acceptable form of communication. I point out homonyms and other common errors in an effort to catch problems before they begin.
Thanks for posting this great question!
SUzanne

Gretchen,

I do not lower the expectations, I just try to. Destined them better so that I can more efficiently and effectively communicate with students and enhance their learning.

Suzanne and Gretchen,

Thanks for continuing the conversation and helping others see things from your point of view.

Thank you! The level of professonalism and lack of spelling and grammr skills is certainly less then what is acceptable. This generation of kids are not self-motivated as a whole and expect someone else to do for them and make allowances. The things students ask of instructors or do are things I would have never thought to even consider asking of my teachers. Standards are lower regardless of how one conducts their class. Sorry, but I really feel strongly about this topic and I am disappointed in where our educational system is going and the lack of education that the students are receiving and the fact that the institutions allow this in order to meet numbers.

Dawn Huber

I know in my classes, I do not lower the expectations. They are just as capable of following the guidelines as another student in the class. If I find anyone struggling in my classes I make sure to either help them with the material, or guide them to the right area to get the material, regardless of generation.

Dawn ,

It's our role to serve as role models to help the students rise to a new level.

David,

Dawn ,

The expectations should be set high. It's our role to serve as role models to help the students rise to a new level.

Hello Gretchen: I do not believe that understanding generations lower our educational standards. As an instructor, I set the educational standards students should follow. When I grade assignments, I use the same rubric for all generations.

Belinda,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. We learn so much from each other. Keep up the good work.

In my professional career I have noticed a big change in how the younger people speak. I don't think it's a generation gap as much as dealing with different ethnic groups. With some it is because English is not their primary language. With others it's because of the way they have learned to speak ethnically. In my job as an instructor I do not lower the standard. I require the students to write and speak professionally.

Joan,

We do need to help students improve their communication and understand what professional communication is. Good job.

Gretchen,

I think that some students have to work harder to use professional language whether written or spoken due to the lax nature of some in the younger generation. I think that speaking and writing in a professional manner is still essential. I cannot image some CEO not being able to communicate professionally regardless of the age.

Frances

Frances and Gretchen,

I'm thrilled you are stressing the importance of professionalism. Thanks for continuing the conversation.

Nice job.

Sign In to comment