Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reaching our students

Everyday we struggle to reach our students and make sure they understand what is expected of them. What more can we try? One method which is quite effective at establishing the role of instructor is to place a welcome call to the students.

Karissa,

Being clear in communicating the learning outcomes is first and foremost. Connecting the assignments to the learning outcomes and including learning outcomes in the rubrics is necessary. Keep trying.

A welcome call is important, but sometimes it is not possible to reach the student. I've made it a policy in my new courses to also send a personalized welcome message to each student. I've found that the students really appreciate the personal touch, and many reply in kind. I've found that since I've started doing this, my attendance and assignment submission rate has greatly improved.

The problem may be magnified if you have older students who may be retooling their job skills make use of the technology, an issue that comes up far more in the past 4 years as middle age empoyees have had to return to school.

Virginia,

Thanks Virginia. This starts the process of developing a community in the course and helping students feel like that are not just a number. Good job.

Marshall,

Getting to know those students and helping them see the importance of what the course involves is essential. Thanks!

I think that is a very good idea. This makes them feel welcomed and shows them that you care. This would really help especially if this is their first time in an online environment.

I think welcome calls are effective and great for reaching out to students. However, some students see them as invasive and an invasion of personal space when used to inquire about missing assignments. Of course, we cannot leave messages about such on the phone, which is a violation of FERPA, but even when we reach some students, they are not receptive to inquiry calls.

That is a good idea. It would not be nearly as time consuming as making individual telephone calls. I find when I call my students about them lagging behind in their work, most of the time I can't reach them; phone has been disconnected, voice mails that won't let you leave a message, etc. I'm certainly going to implement this in my procedures.

Thanks!!

Ruby Whitehead

Ramonica,

Yes and when they feel welcomed they begin to develop that much needed sense of community. Thanks!

Samantha,

Thanks for bringing up FERPA. It's important to keep those regulations in mind.

Ruby,

It's good we can share these ideas and find new things to implement. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,
I have found this to be true. Many students like to hear from me via phone, but some are hostile. I always make a note of students who do not want to be contacted via phone and send them emails instead.
Do you think it is helpful to do a personal welcome email and a phone call or is this overkill?
Suzanne

Suzanne,

I have never had students be hostile because I called them. Maybe you could start with an email and tell them you may call at a later date.

In the early days of online instruction (2001-2002) I would make an introductory call to my online students during the first week of class. I would say 80 to 90% wondered WHY I was calling them and made me feel as if I were an unwanted annoyance. I can tell you I don't do this anymore.

Any student that would really benefit from an instructor calling them probably is not cut out for the online learning environment and will eventually drop out of school.

True online learners are disciplined, self-motivated and independent. They require little supervision and only contact an instructor when absolutely necessary. Just because online learning may be convenient, doesn't mean it's for everyone.

I have been teaching online since 2001. I send out a welcome email to students but for some of the reasons stated by others, I stopped with the phone calls years ago. It's overkill and often times seen as an unwanted intrusion. I have taught thousands of students and for several major online universities.

This is quite interesting, as I have not really thought about calling each student to welcome them to the class. I do make sure to send out individual emails to students that welcome them to the class, and provide my expectations as we move forward throughout the course. I think this adds a sense of personal interaction with the students that you may not have otherwise.

Alexander,

Thanks for your insight via your experience. We continue to learn from each other.

Alexander,

Alexander,

Thanks for your insight via your experience. We continue to learn from each other.

David,

We learn from each other. So glad this forum and course are helpful.

Sign In to comment