Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preparing students for an online class

Ever since I have been involved in online learning, I have found there is a misconception by some students that online learning is easy. In addition, some students are not prepared for the amount of work involved in an online class.

So, as the instructor, how do you prepare a student who is taking an online class for the first time?

Oh, this is SO true! I have found that by sending emails that deliniate exactly what is expected of them as well as sharing photos of what they are going to see when they are in the online environment does help -- to a degree. Also, in every single VC, I am very repetitious in the fact of saying that this requires a huge amount of commitment and dedication. About halfway through the course, most begin getting it!

I am also very big on emails. Lots and lots of emails in the virtual world! We currently have an Orientation Class; however, not as much as I think is necessary to get students with little computer knowledge off the ground. Also, I have a Group Facebook page I began for all online students (not just my own classes) so that they have a community to go to that would be similar to the student lounge on campus. This enables beginning students to see photos and hear stories or shout outs from students who have "gone before." I think that is one of the things that definitely helps all students to keep their excitement levels up and their dream alive!

The Group Facebook page is a great idea! Facebook is certainly where many of our students are spending their time, so it is a great way to reach them. I am curious--what is the feedback you have received from your students about your Facebook page?

My students have been very excited about the page. Even students who didn't have a Facebook page have signed up for one so they can come to the group page. It has now become a community where the students are sharing when they pass a test or are asking other students questions. Another online instructor has also joined and is posting group discussions to keep the chatter moving. I've been pleased with how well it's taken off and the excitement it seems to be instilling in the students being exposed to other students from all different levels -- not just their level!

I agree with this as well. Kathy and I are both instructors in the same course in the same school. I think that a clear delineation of your expectations is vital. I also think that you have to have a more committed student, one who is able to work independently, to make a success of an online class. Students who are unable to do this will either fail or find themselves frantic at the end trying to get everything done. Online programs are more convenient but require much more self-discipline.

As for technical support, I think an orientation class is not enough. I think they need to have an entire "getting up and running" class where they actually have to go through all the steps to get started and implement the usage. Our classes are very heavy on the technological end. I don't like to spend valuable class time on technical issues. To me, those responsibilities should be shouldered by the school, not the instructors.

I find cultivating a relaxed environment where people are not afraid to come to you works very well in getting results. I've got an "open-door" or in our case an "open-e-mail" policy and so far have had really good luck. My style is very casual. Most of my students are near my own age so I endeavor not to condescend to them in any fashion.

Can you tell me more about yoru "open email" policy? That sounds interesting!

That is terrific Kathryne! Thanks for sharing!

If the student is taking an online class first time , tell him to decide a schedule to visit the course site during the week and follow it just like a class schedule where attendance is important. Stress that online classes are equaly demanding it is only more flexible than the teacher based class

That is a great piece of advice for your students Kalpana. Some students new to online learning struggle with the self discipline needed to be successful.

This notion of using an interactive mass communications resource like Facebook is inspired. I teach a conventional classroom course in one four-day segment and the volume of material is intense and usually totally unfamiliar to the students. In the classroom, as you would expect, some of the students will "get" a concept and some will lag. Frequently it is another student that has a grasp of this concept that can present an analogy or idea in a way that makes it click for the rest of the class.

My students are in the 20 to 30 year old bracket and they are all really conversant with web-based communication vehicles like Facebook.

Having a familiar forum where the students can openly discuss what has been presented in the classroom will make the total experience more beneficial, in as much as the students who need elaboration can get it not only from me but also from the other students who have a better understanding. This will take up less class time in review and allow us to move forward smoothly with new material.

Thanks for the tip.

Wow, four days is an intense class! Yes, the facebook suggestion is a good one. I hope it works well with your class.

I also totally agree with your observation. There is a definite misconception that online courses are easier.

I prepare my online students the same way I prepare my face-to-face students. In the classroom setting, most of my students are first semester college freshman. This is not always the case with my online students, as they are not required to take my course (online) during their first semester. I think the fear of the unknown harbored by my college "newbies" is on equal footing as my more experienced students who take my course online, thinking it will be easier. The students in both settings start out on equal footing.

I initiate first-day-of-class contact with my online students, and both online and classroom students walk out of that first class with an assignment. Neither setting uses the first class to simply "go over the syllabus, etc.". I clearly explain (either verbally or online) the expectations of the course, along with the timelines, so they are very clear on what I expect. (Or course, I deliver this information with a great deal of charm, grace, and humor!) I also clearly explain what they can expect from me in regards to support, office hours, etc. I make it very clear in both settings if the students are giving me their utmost best and completing all assignments on time, and to the best of their ability, it is virtually impossible to fail my class. I deliver on this statement with constant one-one-one interaction with my students that is consistent throughout the course. Sometimes that means hunting them down on campus, or through e-mail and telephone calls.

My initial in-your-face, where-have-you-been, how-are-you-doing approach at the start of the course, quickly disperses any fearful misgivings about my class my newbies may have AND quickly displaces the myth that taking my class online is easier.

Very thorough and well thought out response Nancy. Setting the stage the first day of class is very important, including the expectations that make students aware that taking an online class isn't easier than the residential class.

I agree that there is a misconception about the "ease" of online courses. Students believe it will be easier to complete the course in fewer weeks, than having to actually attend the class on campus. I believe that a prep/orientation class for online students is essential. It is easy to assume that most people are computer savvy these days, but that is not always the case. We have several students at our institution that have trouble checking their emails or simply "googling" on the computer. I believe the prep/orientation course will better prepare students for what is to come in their online course. If a student is well prepared on how to navigate through the system, then it will help lessen frustrations and also help with retention issues.
I think the 'facebook' page is a great idea. Most of our students have a facebook account and could easily access the class page. It would help them to discuss certain issues they are having with the course.

I too, have heard the students discussing the supposed "ease" of on-line, and I have heard other students correct them. Basically, the ones that have enrolled for "ease" have had a real shock and don't mind informing others that are tempted to use the same approach. However, students that are serious about their education appreciate opportunities that are presented that open avenues for them to achieve their goal - an education. I agree that the prep/orientation class for online students is essential, and I really like the 'facebook' page idea. Thanks for sharing all the good ideas.

I encourage you to give the facebook idea a try and see how it works for you. Thanks for the comments Tammy.

I would like some advice on getting students to read their materials. I think that several campus based students take online classes because they think it will be easier. One of the things I notice is that they fail to read the materials for each module. This causes the students frustration and hurts retention. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that some students make the mistake of thinking that an online class is somehow easier than a residential class. Some students learn that lesson the hard way!

In terms of making sure students read the material, have you tried asking discussion questions that are specifically pulled from the textbook?

I basically tell students that the key to success in online learning is to keep current with readings and assignment deadlines, to actively participate in class discussions and to communicate and check into the Main Classroom and Small Group Discussion Boards regularly.
I also stress organization and time management as two keys to online learning success. I also tell students to never hesitate to call upon Tech Support for any question at all!

Mark McMullen

Actually, I have received little feedback from students re: my Facebook page. I have received positive comments from students re: my personal bio page that appears in the Faculty Information file of the Virtual Classroom!

Professor Mark

Sign In to comment