Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Learning Styles

I enjoyed this module because it is always good to obtain new ways of students learning. As an instuctor I'm always in the learning mode so I also think of myself as a student.

Andrea:
A commitment to life-long learning has become a growing trend among the adult population who aspire to "growth" in all dimensions-----career, personal, community,etc.
Satrohan

I particularly liked the learning styles information, too--I hadn't ever read anything about the "dependent" style, and it answered a lot of questions I've had about why students who will dutifully complete assignments won't participate in discussions!

Margo

Yes, and especially in online education, we need to address a variety of learning styles.

Darcy

You are right Darcy! In any learning environment we need to reach all learning styles.

Each student learns differently; even visual learners may take different approach to obtain and retain information. As an instructor, we must always be alert and aware of the students needs and how the obtain and process information. This goes back to communication with the student, engaging the student to learn these things about them. I have picked up many pointers during this module

Hi, I agree, as an instructor myself, I also enjoy every student in their own special way and try to help them in any way I can.

I provide my students with a live chat session which discusses the different learning styles. I cover them in detail and give them characteristics of each one. The students love it because they fit them selves into which kind of learner they are. I give them a link to a learning style assessment and they enjoy taking it and seeing the results. I also provide the students with techniques and strategies they can incorporate into their study time which will correspond with the type of learner they are. I have a great deal of success with this in my class. I have had several students let me know that their study time has become more effective since they incorporated the learning style into their study routine.

Providing students with an explanation of learning styles is a great idea Nancy. Students are then able to apply the learning techniques they learn from your presentation to all of their other classes.

When you are an instructor, you are also a student. You try to adapt to the different learning styles of the students in a class and bring them all together during forum discussions.

Hi Hima, you make a good point about the need to adapt different learnign styles. Can you share with the forum ways that you do this? Thanks. Tina

In the online class I have noticed that certain students want to avoid completing assignments and answering discussion board questions on time, whereas other very competetive and complete assignments on time. I e-mail and remind students about class participation. With competetive students I try to intervene their discussion posts, so that the other students have a chance to reply to the posts. We also encounter students with the other learning styles in the class.

Hi Hima, there are different social learning styles of online learners. I have found the competitive learner is more interested in taking tests and doesn't care too much for discussions. Participative learners are the most engaged learners in discussions. You may want to consider late points for students who turn in their assignments late, to try to discourage it. Tina

Sign In to comment